I had the exact same issue due to the exact same virus and have resolved the "activating VPN adpater failed" problem.
This trojan appears to totally wipe out the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE entry. There are other services (including IKE and AuthIP IPSec) that are dependent on the BFE service. I'm not sure which one (or all) services affected that cause the VPN issue as I did not yet go back and stop each one and test.
To resolve, I exported the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE from my other Win7 64 bit machine and imported to registry on problem machine. After rebooting and starting the BFE service, VPN now connects fine.
Here is a blog that details the resolution steps. I did not use the reg file link available for download but I did follow the same procedure using my own reg export.
Hope this helps.