Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4 Beeps Computer Will not turn on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doctagreenthumb

doctagreenthumb

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hi, I have a dell xps 7100 series. I recently put my computer to sleep and I went to take a nap. When i tired to wake it up, it would not wake up. The monitor would not receive a signal. I held the power button on my computer to turn it off. When I tried to start it, the monitor would receive no signal; at this point there were no beeps. I decided to open up my computer and found that it was very dusty. I cleaned most of the dust off the fans and off the graphics card. I removed the graphics card and re installed it. When I turned my computer on and got 4 beeps, a pause then 4 beeps again etc. I reopened my computer and removed the memory sticks and exchanged their location. Finally I removed the cell battery and put it back in. I started my computer again and still get four beeps. The power light is also blinking amber. I have done some research and found that this might be a cache test failure problem. I was just wondering if I could get some help in fixing this issue. Again, my computer will not start because my monitor does not detect it, so i cannot run tests or the recovery.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm

Tekken

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

since it didn't beep until you removed card and cleaned computer ,check to make sure that the video card is making good connection ,no dirt in the motherboards video slot ,,one of the option in the great link above

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 doctagreenthumb

doctagreenthumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

Hey man thanks for the link. I tired most of tho solutions and when i got to re-seating the rams, it worked. So apparently one of my rams is bad. Thanks for your help =).

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

...or the RAM modules were not slotted properly...or dust interfered with contact...it's hard to say that a module is bad if reseating enables it to perform correctly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users