Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Verifying a website's reputation?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

Good evening everyone!

My inquiry here may sound "off-the-wall" or unworthy of a response, but I will ask anyway. (Please pardon me if I posted in the wrong sub-forum).

As most every Internet user is aware, when you view a list of search results, you will usually see one or more site reputation rating icons (e.g. Avast, McAfee, and WOT), which supposedly provide some indication of the site's reputation (e.g. customer service experience, vendor reliability, trustworthiness, and whether or not the site is known for scams, like phishing, spamming, viruses, & other malware). Some anti-malware programs will also warn about a potentially malicious site as well.

There are other sites, such as, hphosts which can provide some limited info as well.

My question is this: Are there any fairly-effective methods or techniques available for genuinely ascertaining whether or not a website is considered reasonably safe to visit and/or conduct any activity on (e.g. pc game download sites).

I see so much conflicting information, it is just mind-boggling. For example, a website may show a green WOT icon, green McAfee icon, and no Avast rep icon. Yet, when I check the website name (for example) through the hphosts site, I may get red high risk indicators! With such totally different info...how is a user to begin to decide if a site is even remotely safe to visit?

My impression at this point is there doesn't seem to be ANY really reliable method available to adequately help an Internet user avoid risky Internet sites.

Any additional suggestions/recommendations would indeed be most welcome, and thank you for your time and help!

Happy Holidays to everyone too!

Edited by spc3rd, 23 December 2011 - 10:00 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

My personal opinion is since there is no single adopted and uniform standard by which to benchmark. Everything you mention is purely subjective by the purveyors of the information they distribute. Caveat Emptor at it's finest.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

I appreciate the rapid reply, Animal! No truer words could be said on this issue!

Have a nice Christmas and New Year holiday period!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

You could submit the url link to one or all of these for scanning:

Virus Total's Submit a URL
Trend Micro Site Safety Center
Norton Safe Web, from Symantec

Don't think anything is going to be 100 percent though.

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

The added information is much appreciated, FlannelBack! Perhaps I will give it a try to see what turns up.

Happy Holidays to you!

spc3rd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users