Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Won't boot caught in recovery loop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kscuoppo

kscuoppo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

I was in the middle of reinstalling Windows 7 and the power went out. The computer Dell Inspirion 1440 is caught in a continous loop.

I have 3 options to choose from when I poweri\ up the computer:

Windows 7; Windows ROllBack; and another Windows 7.

Regardless of what option I choose (I tried all 3) it goes to a second screen where I have 2 options: Launch Start up repair or start windows normally.

Regardless of which of those options I choose it goes back to the first 3 choices (Windows 7 Windows Roll setup rollback or Windows 7).

I can't make any progress. I have tried booting from safe mode (F8) and it still will not boot. It blinks safe mode for a few seconds then reboots and goes through the same continous loop.

I am trying to boot from the CD; I am using an external CD drive as the internal drive does not work properly. The boot sequence it set to the CD drive first. I have tried everything I can think of and I have been searching the internet for days and I cannot figure out how to get this system back up. I do not care if I lose everything on the drive. MI have all the discs from Dell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:47 AM

1) See if there is an option in bios to recognize USB at boot. If so, enable it.
2) The simple answer is to replace the internal cd drive. You're going to have to do it at some point and it's not an expensive proposition.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

Make sure the USB drive is plugged in before you power up. Then when the Dell logo appears onscreen press F12 for the boot device menu. Test the drive on another computer.

Also You keep saying CD. The Windows 7 disc is a DVD disc, If that drive is a CD drive it won't work.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users