Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with fixing mistakes trying to cut and paste

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rdb63

rdb63

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Novice user. Was trying to cut and paste my resume from my documents to a website job application. Not successful, and now when i pull up my resume its not in its original form. It shows two screens of partial resume,only two of the four pages.It wont let me do anything, and i dont know how to fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

The problem here is that you 'cut' and pasted. When you did that you removed it with the 'cut' from your original document. You'll need to go back to where you 'pasted' to and copy it back, if it is available. Also if you 'saved' the changes to your original document after cutting they are permanent and your original 'cut' content is gone. What you should have done was make a copy of this document then any cutting and pasting mistakes wouldn't affect your precious original. Additionally the action you wanted to do was 'copy' from the original, and paste to the new location. Not 'cut' which removes it and paste to the new location. Hope that clarifies the difference between cut and paste and copy and paste.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Deejay100six

Deejay100six

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

Hi, :hello: and welcome to BC.

When you use cut/paste, you are effectively moving the text from one place to another. What you needed to do was copy/paste which makes a copy of the text but leaves the original intact.

All may not be lost if you didn't do any more cut/paste or copy/paste as the text will still be in your clipboard. So, before you do anything else position your mouse pointer at the end of the original document, right click and select paste.

If that didn't work and you already submitted the application, you're only other option is to contact the website and ask them for a copy.

Let me know if this helps.

Edit; Oops, sorry Animal, cross posted.

Edited by Deejay100six, 23 December 2011 - 06:52 PM.

Regards, Dave

#4 rdb63

rdb63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Ok Animal and Deejay, i got my resume back, not sure how. Can you explain how to copy and paste from documents to website, they say to cut and paste, no html. Any and all help, previous and in the future is greatly appreciated.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hi -
I generally just use CTRL+C to cut/copy and then CTRL+V to paste.
This method is more of a Memory Solution, rather than actually removing/cutting out the segments.
This seems to work on all saved documents on my Windows 7 or my XP SP3

Hope this helps -
EDIT - I just cut/copied and pasted the below random items from a Document to here with the above method -
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll

Edited by noknojon, 23 December 2011 - 08:36 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Highlight the text you want to 'copy' and either right click and select COPY or as noknojon suggests use the ctrl key simultaneously use the 'C' key that will copy the text to your 'clipboard'. Then navigate to your online location and right click in the location you want the text you just copied. Then right click and 'paste' or again use the ctrl key simultaneously with the 'V' key to paste the text. Repeat the process for each segment of text you want to transfer to the online site.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users