Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

Ive never realy built a site but im getting back into HTML but we all no you can have a good site with just HTML so ive decided to pick up JS but im not sure if it will help much so im wondering what else i should learn to make a better website maybe PHP or CSS i dont know.
I can only learn what i want to learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

Ive never realy built a site but im getting back into HTML but we all no you can have a good site with just HTML so ive decided to pick up JS but im not sure if it will help much so im wondering what else i should learn to make a better website maybe PHP or CSS i dont know.

Keep it simple.
A little flashiness is good but don't over do it.
My site is popular.
I kept it simple with various codes.
Mainly as examples,so people could view source & copy an effect.
People like information.
Not slow loading time from jazzy effects.
Angelfire slows things down enough with their codes.
Go for cross browser compatability.
I cater to the webtv people as well as the computer crowd.
My site could be better.
I'm working on it.
I'm no expert but the number on my hit counter is real.
I get between 50 & several hundred visits a day.

List your site with search engines too.
If you care about visits & getting your information across.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

On the topic of search engines, make sure you have good <meta> tags as they are one of the ways most search engines determine when to offer your site as a search result..

Example:
<META NAME="Title" CONTENT="My Website">
<META NAME="Author" CONTENT="Me">
<META NAME="Subject" CONTENT="The Further Understanding of Me">
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="A website devoted to how great I am and how everyone should aspire to be me">
<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="Me, wonderful, stupendous, conceited, self-centered, arrogant, god-like">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="Dreamweaver 8">
<META NAME="Language" CONTENT="American Standard English">
<META NAME="Copyright" CONTENT=" 2006 Me Enterprises, LLC">
<META NAME="Designer" CONTENT="Me">
<META NAME="Publisher" CONTENT="Me Enterprises, LLC">
<META NAME="Distribution" CONTENT="Global">
<META NAME="Robots" CONTENT="All">

If you are really REALLY serious about being a web designer, you might want to invest in a commercial web design program such as Dreamweaver($399) or Microsoft Frontpage ($199). Dreamweaver offers a 30 trial period so you can decide if you want to spend all that money.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 06 February 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#4 atldan

atldan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:50 PM

Good advice!
I started with Yahoo's Sitebuilder for my wife's store quickly "outgrew" it and am doing some others in Dremweaver. However, her site traffic relies more on Google et al so a lot to keep in mind to keep search engine friendly. I had to add a lot of html and hacks to make it work a little better.
My others are more graphic and flashier because there is specific traffic...nicer designs etc. but not nearly so spider-friendly.
Figure out your site's purpose first too that may really help you figure out the best way to go.
there's a lot you can write in CSS, Java etc. that may be better than a purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users