Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 -- temp profile/ slowness/lost files?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaGirl35

CarolinaGirl35

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

After about a year of working normally, my Windows 7 Home - 64 bit(premium) Dell Inspirion M5010 (AMD Athlon II P320 Dual-Core 2.10GHz / 3Gb RAM)
has changed dramatically.

I only have 1 user account, and this laptop is used primarly for websurfing and picture management.

This morning, it took around 15 minutes to start up and informed me that a temporary profile is being used and that I have no access to my files.
Everything is extremely slow on this temp profile (it took over 5 minutes just to right click on computer and display properties)

My OS is contained on a 58Gb partition which has 8Gb left, so not sure if Windows 7 requires more space than that?

I have about 200 pictures of family that I'd like to try and recover if possible before giving up hope. Is this something that happens to other people? After searching on the Internet I found similar situations but nothing that describes my issue 100% so I didn't want to do anything and possibly cause more problems. Any ideas?

Thanks, Ana

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

Hello CarolinaGirl35,

Are you still unable to log into your normal user profile? Sometimes a reboot is all you need. If a reboot doesn't do it, I'm a big believer in backing up important files before attempting to rescue the original profile.

There are many ways to accomplish this but one of the fastest and easiest is using Puppy Linux live CD.

What you will need:
  • Another computer with a CD burner, a blank recordable CD disc, and a USB Flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents and photos.
View a tutorial: Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux.

When you are satisfied that you have all important documents backed up , we will attempt to rescue your original user profile.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

<<My OS is contained on a 58Gb partition which has 8Gb left, so not sure if Windows 7 requires more space than that?>>

IMO, the consensus will probably be that any version of Windows...requires about 15% free space to perform adequately. I'm not aware of this changing at all with Win 7 editions.

I've personally run Windows versions down to a 105-level with no problems but I didn't do that for very long and it was just a test I wanted to do on that system.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

#4 CarolinaGirl35

CarolinaGirl35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

Hello CarolinaGirl35,

Are you still unable to log into your normal user profile? Sometimes a reboot is all you need. If a reboot doesn't do it, I'm a big believer in backing up important files before attempting to rescue the original profile.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't have a chance to look at this over the holidays.
Now when I turn the laptop on I get a message stating that the "User Profile Service failed to logon. User profile cannot be loaded."
When I click ok, then it reverts back to normal logon screen and back to the error message.

I'm going to try and reboot again, but at 20 minutes a try I'm not sure how many I can get in tonight. Any ideas?

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

Hamluis brings up a critical point; lack of free hard drive space. This is no doubt why it took so long to create your temporary profile. You definitely need at least 15% or more free space on your system drive. At this point it sounds as if you are not even logged in with a temporary profile.

Go to post #2 and read the tutorial about using Puppy Linux Live CD to access your computer and remove any important files. I would move them onto a flash or external hard drive rather than copying them. That way you have the important files and you are increasing hard drive free space. Move as many files as you can.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 CarolinaGirl35

CarolinaGirl35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

Sounds good. I just read the instructions for Puppy Linux Live CD and sounds like it would have a chance of working without having to login.

Do you guys think this could be a virus? or do profiles just go bad sometimes? This is my first one and it seems like its just getting worse everytime I touch it.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

Corruption is just another word for damage, in computer lingo.

The nature of computing is such that any given file...may become damaged...at any time.

It's not unusual for profiles (or any other files) to become damaged and malperform.

Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-Corruption&id=817785

Data corruption and loss causes and avoidance - http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html

Louis

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

I had profile corruption 6-8 months ago on my Windows 7 desktop. I was able to correct it in the short run by editing the registry and renaming the backup profile. Unfortunately the problem re-occurred. I'm a big believer in periodically reformatting and re-installing the OS anyway so that is how I ultimately handled it. It helps to have multiple OS images and a good daily-weekly file backup strategy in place as I do.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 CarolinaGirl35

CarolinaGirl35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

I was able to recover all important files using the Puppy Linux. Kind of strange but I kept getting drive is read only error (flash drive) about 1/2 through recovering and after searching for solutions decided the drive was junk. Anyway, new drive worked ok. Not my month for computer stuff!!!

I did notice a couple of things you guys may be interested in. Instructions were very easy to follow :thumbsup: My screen was however very fuzzy and moving all over the place. Probably some kind of setting for stablizing this, but it wasn't a show stopper. It may be worth adding to the instructions though??? Also at the end of drive fix it mentioned that Windows would run a disk check automatically upon rebooting. There was a screen that popped up and was immediately "Cancelled by the User" even though I never touched it. I'm going to try one more time just to make sure.

My next question was to ask if you would just reinstall everything, but I'm guessing the answer to that is YES after reading last few posts. So I'm off to researching how to reinstall Windows 7 without a disk....

I appreciate the help. Got the files back I wanted to save thanks to you guys!!!! Have a Happy New Year!!!!

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

I'm happy that the file recovery worked for you. Thanks for the feedback regarding the Puppy Linux Live CD.

You should be able to restore your computer using the hidden partition on your hard drive.

Go to this link: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/7319-dell-inspiron-restore-to-factory-default-settings#q=Dell+inspirion+m5010+recovery+restore+procedure&cur=1&url=%2F

Good Luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 CarolinaGirl35

CarolinaGirl35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

I'm happy that the file recovery worked for you. Thanks for the feedback regarding the Puppy Linux Live CD.

You should be able to restore your computer using the hidden partition on your hard drive.

Go to this link: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/7319-dell-inspiron-restore-to-factory-default-settings#q=Dell+inspirion+m5010+recovery+restore+procedure&cur=1&url=%2F

Good Luck.

Perfect, no where near as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks again for all the help!!! Happy New Year!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users