Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpyShelter, other antispyware software, won't update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Terry White

Terry White

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

Hi - my first post here. I've had a problem with various antispyware software updating, and thought perhaps some kind soul can help.

Basically, to explain, the Internet setup here is quite odd. I live in a small hamlet in Spain in which the local town hall has given us free wifi but with no support. In the past, I connected to the town hall's server via an antenna on my roof that connected to my PC via a USB slot. It was slow and was often down, but by and large everything worked. This summer however they upgraded to a new system, and now I connect my computer via the Ethernet cable to a UBNT which connects to the town hall's AirOS system. Someone came and changed some of my Proxy settings on my computer and as a result I have much faster and more stable Internet.

However, from then on, my SuperAntispyware stopped updating. I could install a new version as often as I wanted, but the "update" would not work. I also had problems loading the latest Avast software until Avast themselves helped by sending me a manual key.

Since then, I have been trying out loads of new antispyware software. Avast is working fine and updating twice daily. Malwarebytes also works fine and never has had any problem. But antispyware has been a problem since the new system came in.

As I said, I started with SUPERantispyware, then tried Spyblaster, Spywareblaster, and a myriad of others. Always the same problem with the automatic updates. I am now using SpyShelter. (I uninstall old antispyware software before installing new ones so as to avoid any conflicts).

If I go to About, and then click on Check for Update<, it says "Cannot connect to update server. Try again later or check firewall settings". I have tried unchecking the Use proxy settings, and tried with it checked and with the Proxy address/port figures entered, all to no avail. The software is listed as an Exception on the Windows Firewall.

I have also had problems updating Flash, ever since moving to the UNBT, though now I have fixed that by manually getting it from the Adobe website. But the fact that it was unable to update without doing this manually makes me think this is the same problem.

There's no one to ask, and as I said the town hall doesn't give support. All I want is an antispyware that I can update, either manually or automatically. I don't mind manually updating it, but at the moment it doesn't even let me do that.

As I said, Malwarebytes and Avast both work and update without any problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

Did you check your OutBound Firewall ?

anyway you can also try to update using a Proxy

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#3 Terry White

Terry White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

Did you check your OutBound Firewall ?

anyway you can also try to update using a Proxy

Sorry, I should have said, I am using Windows XP SP3. Not sure I therefore have an outbound firewall option.

I do try to update using proxy. Makes no difference.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

All I want is an antispyware that I can update, either manually or automatically. I don't mind manually updating it,

If you encounter any problems updating SUPERAntiSpyware's database through the program's interface, then try manually downloading the definitions from here.

Double-click on the link for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Terry White

Terry White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

Thanks. Have done this, but since the latest version (having just reinstalled SUPERantispyware) already has the latest definitions (core 8087), nothing changed when I then tried the manual update, so I'll need to await 8088 and then try again. I'll let you know if that resolves it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users