Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop HDD damaged beyond repair?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn_M

Shawn_M

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

I have had an HP Envy 14-1110nr for just under a year now and suddenly it has been giving me problems the last few weeks. It started with a couple of hangs or random crashes over the first week. After 2 or 3 of those, the computer simply wouldn't start up. Every time I would turn the laptop on, it would get to a certain part, give me the following error and then restart, over and over.

"File:\boot\BCD Status: 0xc00000e9 unexpected I/O error has occurred”

Nothing seemed to be working, and then finally last night I started getting errors from just about everything saying that my HDD was rapidly failing.
SMART HDD Error 301
Intel Rapid Storage Technology gives me a warning saying something is wrong with the HDD.
Microsoft also gave me an error saying that the HDD is at risk and to back up my files immediately.

After doing one final test I was able to get the boot problem solved, at least it seems to be fixed for now but the errors are persisting. Could all of the errors that I'm getting because of that boot or is the drive really broken? Chkdsk shows absolutely nothing wrong with the drive at all, no bad sectors, nothing. Could it have something to do with the boot error that I was getting before or is it likely really damaged?

The HDD in question is a Samsung HM640JJ 640GB. Apparently they have a pretty short shelf life but not less than a year.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

If you get into the Bios setup which should be done when the HP logo appears by pressing F10 usually. The proper key should appear on the screen at start up along with other options. The newer HPs have a built-in hard drive Diagnostics you can run.

You do need to find out if it is the hard drive or something else.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

Just a clarification.

Chkdsk is not and was not intended to be a hard drive diagnostic. Chkdsk is a file system tool. As part of being a file system tool...because the file system lies upon the hard drive...it can correct certain problems dealing with the physical status of the hard drive. It can detect certain characteristics of the drive and it can attempt to recovery data which happens to be placed on bad sectors of a hard drive. It cannot overcome physical problems of a hard drive and it cannot diagnose the condition of the hard drive. If you ever look at a report from chkdsk, you will see that it always addresses the condition of files and file system...not the hard drive itself as a whole.

The respective major manufacturers of hard drives...provide their own utilities, for checking the drives they manufacturer, with a few exceptions.

SMART warnings, although not 100% infallible, come close enough (IMO) that any user receiving such...needsto take the warning literally.

Even though we all say that we "are going to use chkdsk /r to check the drive", what we really mean is that we will check the file system and Windows...which rest upon the hard drive. That's why chkdsk is always only concerned with one partition at a time...no partition, no file system, but the hard drive could still be problematical.

SMART is geared to the hard drive itself, not Windows or NTFS or partitions.

Louis

#4 Shawn_M

Shawn_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

Thank you for that clarification, Louis. I just ran a diagnostic from Samsung and it failed almost instantly, so I guess there is something wrong with it after all. I was hoping it was all just caused by the boot issue but I suppose now it was the faulty drive that's been causing the boot issue as well.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

Good clarification Louis chkdsk definitely has its uses but diagnostics isn't one of them. Thanks

A failing drive can cause many problems not the least of which could be a unbootable windows and a slow system.

When windows is starting to load is when it is least able to cope with a failing drive.

If the computer is just under a year old may be you can get warranty?
If out of warranty and you like the computer maybe a SSD is in your future. I've seen smaller ones under $100 and 120Gb under $200. I'd personally look at owner reviews before buying. The Intel 320 series has a 5 year warranty for example, They do need a firmware update before use. The Samsung 470 series are good. Neither of those are the fastest due to their SATA2 interface however in laptops they are a good match and SATA3 drives cost more and on SATA2 controllers have no benefit

Samsung SSDs are well liked. I never looked into their regular drive line and now that their hard drive line have been sold. I'm not sure how the Purchase by Seagate will affect that.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=seagate-completes-aquisition-samsungs-hdd-business-pr&vgnextoid=b201b5c033854310VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD&locale=en-US&name=seagate-completes-aquisition-samsungs-hdd-business-pr&vgnextrefresh=1&cmpid=lp_press_pr
"December 19, 2011 - Seagate Technology plc (NASDAQ: STX), a world leader in hard disk drives and storage solutions, today announced the closing of the transaction to acquire the hard disk drive (HDD) business of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd"

Best regards
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 December 2011 - 10:39 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users