Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install different copy of XP?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Big Greenhorn

Big Greenhorn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

I bought an older Dell computer that runs XP (not professional) from a friend. When I bought the computer I asked for the operating system and support disks, etc. This person had the computer professionally maintained and had no disks. She contacted the maintenace professional and he supplied me with a copy of XP professional. It is not the same copy installed on the computer. Now I have a problem (need to install the volume icon on the tool bar) and I need to install a file from the XP disk. Can I retrieve a file from an XP disk that is not the same as the one installed? Also can I (or should I) reinstall the XP professional I have disk on the computer without disrupting the current setup or going through a new setup proceedure ((going through a lot of work!).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

Now I have a problem (need to install the volume icon on the tool bar) and I need to install a file from the XP disk.

Re: "need to install the volume icon on the tool bar"
Is that the only problem?
What makes you think that you need to "install" a file from the XP CD? Which file are your referring to?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

Assuming the versions are the same (same service pack) then it does not matter at all that it is not the same disc as the original install. But as is pointed out in the above post, if the only problem is a missing icon in the system tray, you need only enable that function from the sound applet in control panel.

Edited by Allan, 23 December 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#4 Big Greenhorn

Big Greenhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

Sorry for the delay. Christmas sucked me in.
The reason I think I need to add a file from the system disk is because Win XP tells me so. When I go to the 'control panel' then 'Sounds' and try to enable the 'Place volume icon in the taskbar' check box I receive the following error message:
"Windows can not display the volume control on the taskbar because the volume control program has not been installed. To install it use the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel." I've been to the Add/Remove Programs but am not sure how to add a program from there. I have removed them before. So I've decided (?) that I need to insert a system disk and try to load a file from there.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:35 AM

Whats the model number of the Dell?
Reinstalling the sound drivers might easily fix your issue
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Big Greenhorn

Big Greenhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

It is an Inspiron 1300 laptop.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

Audio drivers for your Dell can be found here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

Make sure to choose your Operating Syatem.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 December 2011 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users