Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Seach Bar At Top Of Screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

Hello,

I was able to stop my search history from my Google searches on the Internet but I can not figure out how to stop it from the top search bar. I guess that it what you call it. When I click on the blue button to the right of it, it will show about 20 of the last sites that I was on and then below that it will show about 20 of my favorites.

I would also like to know why I have 2 Google search areas. There is one at the top right of my screen that I never use.

I don't go to questionable sites but some of my employees use this computer and I don't want them looking into my daily business.

Here is a screen shot it case it helps.

Posted Image

Thanks for your time.

Dennis :)

XP Home, IE-8, SP-3

Edited by Dennis H, 23 December 2011 - 09:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

Hello Dennis H,

The Google Search Box in the upper right side of IE 8.0 is part of the browser. The actual search engine that shows there, can be changed to Bing, Yahoo, etc. Yours is just set for Google. I don't believe that the actual search box can be deleted as it is an integral part of Internet Explorer.

The Google bar below the "address box" is the Google Toolbar, added either intentionally by someone or inadvertently with some free software download. This toolbar can be deleted via "Add/Remove Software" in Control Panel.

To delete all Search Data from the address box when the browser closes:

• Open Internet Explorer, click "Tools," from top menu, "Internet Options," and under "Browsing History, " click "Delete browsing history on exit."
  • Next click the "Delete" button and make sure that "History - list of web sites you have visited" is checked. Other check boxes are optional.
  • Click "Delete", "Apply" and "OK."
  • Now, each time the browser is closed, the list of web sites visited will be deleted.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to find a way to stop the history from being shown in the search bar.

The bar up top showing Bleeping Computer in my screen shot.

I downloaded Google search.

I was able to stop it with Google search.

Thanks,

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

Have you seen this page? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/how-to-disable-search-history-in-ie8/087a3599-f009-47de-9fbc-a854cc311989

One suggestion was to use InPrivate Browsing as it doesn't keep track of web pages visited, etc. Another suggested setting days to save History to "0".

Not sure if any of this is helpful. You think there would be a registry setting that could be changed.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the reply,

On the top bar I don't see such things as the page, safety, tools, printer, Etc; options for IE-8 as you can see from my screen shot.. Is there a way I can change the bar to bring those things back for my use. ?

The link you posted gave instructions on how to fix the history question I have but I can not follow them without the options.

EDIT: I found out by trial and error how to get those options back, I will now try the instructions in the link you posted. Thanks Again !

Thanks,

Edited by Dennis H, 23 December 2011 - 06:56 PM.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

Open IE 8.0. Right mouse click to the right of the favorites tabs. Select "Menu bar," "Command bar," and any other option you would like displayed.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Got it.

Thanks !,

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hi -
Just to add a small bit, if you hold the ALT key down you will see the hidden menus.
This includes the File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, and Help items -

#9 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

Hi -
Just to add a small bit, if you hold the ALT key down you will see the hidden menus.
This includes the File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, and Help items -

Just tried it and it worked as you said. Thanks for the tip !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users