Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

application has failed to start because consrv was not found

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Adirondack

Adirondack

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

Greetings,
I request assistance:

Problem: Windows Vista 64 will not boot

Error Message: application failed to start because consrv was not found

Activity Prior to Failure: Windows Essentials was attempting to remove a trojan & required a restart. The computer would not restart

Actions Taken: I have read other posts for this problem & am attaching the output from running FRST.EXE. I am also attaching a copy of my MBR "BACKUP_MBR_0.bin".

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adirondack

Adirondack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

Sorry, the forum would not let me upload the .bin MBR copy.

#3 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

Download the enclosed file.

Save it in the flash drive. Insert the flash drive in the ailing computer and run FRST as you did before. Click iin the Fix button and wait.

The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.

Restart in Normal Mode. If successful, run Combofix as follows:

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  • Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link or this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

If AVG or CA Internet Security Suite is installed, you must remove these programs before using Combofix. If any of these applications will not uninstall, it is first recommended to uninstall it with AppRemover by Opswat. http://www.appremover.com/supported-applications. Do not use AppRemover on Norton

• Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

• Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Install the Recovery Console if prompted.
  • When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" .
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Note: ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making it the default browser.
Note: Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security.

Please do not install any new programs or update anything (always allow your antivirus/antispyware to update) unless told to do so while we are fixing your problem. If combofix alerts to a new version and offers to update, please let it. It is essential we always use the latest version.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#4 Adirondack

Adirondack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

Surgeon General,
MANY THANKS for your prompt and most helpful assistance on the eve of Christmas Eve! I am most grateful. I have rebooted & completed the ComboFix Scan with my anti virus & Malwarebytes disabled.

The two files that you requested are attached below.

Thanks again!
Adirondack

Attached Files

#5 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,590 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Remove any toolbar and Browser helper related to Ask.com. Our experience is that brings malware to your computer.

Run a full scan with Essentials as well as with Malwarebytes.

Let me know the outcome and condition of the computer.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#6 Adirondack

Adirondack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

MS Security Essentials found "Java/Blacole.BR" and removed it during my full scan.

Malwarebytes detected no malicious items

Thanks for the tip on Ask.com. We are not using the browswer toolbar helper.

#7 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,590 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

How is the computer doing?

btn_donate_SM.gif

#8 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,590 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users