Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best res for gaming?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yayhey

yayhey

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

My current monitor handles big enough res that variety of options isn't a problem. Looking at %age of Steam users, should I avoid using certain res based on that due to lesser support for those res, e.g. 0.94% UXGA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_resolution

Also, the image is sharper if native res is used, right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

a lot depends on the hardware your using. If your monitor can handle say, 1920 x 1080, but your computer cant push a high enough framerate to make the game playable at that res, then you will need to use a lower resolution. The native resolution on a monitor does usually look best-but whether its a good res for gaming is dependent on the game and the computer. The best way to find a good res is to download a good frame rate tool such as fraps and run it while running your game, at different resolutions, till you find one that works for you. 30 FPS is typically considered minimal playable framerate, with 50-60+ being preferable I like to find a good balance between eye candy and framerate, personally. Dont buy into all those people who say you need 100+ fps-your naked eye cant tell the difference between about 85 FPS and 150, its just the way it is. if you can get between 60-85 fps Id say that would be the resolution I would play at.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users