Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gathering information to buy new comp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yayhey

yayhey

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

Is Pentium B950 2.1 GHz 2MB cache enough for 3-d modelling, indie game development and photo editing? Possibly at 1680x1050 I don't want everything to run super slowly. At the same time I find i3 and up cost A LOT.

Also, if one intends to game, would B650 be enough to take advantage of 4 GBs of ram? I have considered buying even more (its so cheap nowadays after all), like 6 or 8 if I can make use for it the activities I mentioned, but that won't have any merit if the CPU is too slow.

DDR3 1333 with 9 CAS latency vs DDR3 1066 with 7 CAS. What's more important/quicker? Again, keep the CPU in mind.

Bulldozer 2nd gen will have tripple-channel memory on even low end CPUs, so its it likely Intel will compete and offer that or even quad channel on their CPUs?

During Intel Core 2 era, AMD considered themselves to have the first "true" quad core due to monolithic multi-core design. Are now every last Bulldozer, Nehalem, Sandy Bridge future architectures (from both companies) monolithic so AMD has lost this unique advantage?

Does AMD GPUs historically have some kinda advantage over Nvidia? I remember reading such a thing a few years back; believe it was about AMD being less reckless with noise and power issues.

By 2015/16, will quad core be required for new games?

Also, do you think that by 2015/16 that 6-8 GBs will be necessary to game?

Can SSDs do everything HDDs do? Also, will SSDs attain market dominance in the next few years? If not, then what about 8-15 years from now?

Are there currently out or are there coming out any other technologies which give HDDs and SSDs a run for their money?

Is 50W TDP much for a mobile GPU? What about 35W?

EMF strength and frequency are measured in units of Gauss. By picking a low watt TDP CPU, mid-range GPU, SSD > HDD, a relatively dim screen and as much sufficient passive cooling as possible, will the Gauss number lowered?

A 35w TDP CPU like B950 gives good battery life for laptops, right?

The B950 compared to a i7 and 17w TDP, how much power do they actualyl draw while idling? There doesn't seem to be much point if there's not much difference idling as under load a faster but more power consuming CPU will get done quicker as well which means you actually gain time and lose nothing else...

Side question: How will they keep improving hardware when die shrinks approach 10nm? Quantum tunneling starts becoming an issue, and the reductions get smaller too, compared to the days when it went from 65nm to 45nm. There's not much difference between 1nm to 0.5nm.

Edited by boopme, 23 December 2011 - 10:05 AM.
Moved to appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

I'll let someone else answer for the rest but as for the sad and hdd thing yes they do the same thing only the ssd is a ton quicker but way more expensive get gb of data...reg hard drives will always be in place because that's where u can get the volume like 1tb-3tb and so on...ssd is good for having ure OS on and maybe some programs u use a lot so they load and move a lot quicker I think ssd tech will get larger and cheaper as the years go on but for now hdd are still a huge part in the market due to size availabilities

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users