Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few questions on OS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yayhey

yayhey

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

I' want to make pictures such as those seen on deviantart and maybe do some indie game development and 3-d animation. Since OSX is said to be superior for media creation, should I go with it over Linux and Windows?

Also, can one play nearly all games released since the bginning of 2010 on OSX? It seems they take quite a bit more ram although I've only looked at requirements for a few games. I assume its because of it not being worth optimizing so much for OSX due to low playerbase.

That said, does it overall require more GBs of ram to run OSX programs? i.e. will 4 GBs be sufficient for the activities I mention in the first question?

Moreover, will OSX improve in what games can be played on it over the next few years?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 michaelhallsted

michaelhallsted

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

this sounds more like personal preferences... great things have been done on all of the platforms.
that said though, i find macs much easier to use, backup, and maintain, for all things.

blender is a program you will want to try.

for games, you have to talk to the game developers... nothing really to do with osX,
since osX will run anything as long as the developers write the games to run on a mac.
actually though, you can buy a mac, and use apple's boot camp to install and run windows
natively on a mac, and play any game you like, since, with boot camp, you turned the mac
into a windows computer, just get a windows usb keyboard to use with it.

as with anything in life, the more RAM, the merrier, so get as much RAM as the mac will
hold, or as you can afford, 4 GB's would just be a starting point.

good luck with it :)

#3 dirk90

dirk90

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:29 AM

Regarding your gaming question.

It depends on the publisher. Blizzard has for ever been developing all of their games as well (not many of course, but I tend to think the best). Some other games are also available on either the Mac App Store or to buy in stores.
Also steam has been introducted to Mac (this or last year) thus giving developers a chance to easily sell their games on Mac.
So my overall guess is that there will be more and more games coming to Mac, but if you really want to have everything available you will still need bootcamp and windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users