Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secure Enough???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 geologist

geologist

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:10 AM

Just bought my daughter a laptop for Christmas which comes with a Norton security package pre-installed. Will this give sufficient protection or should I download one of the free packages such as Mbam???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:09 AM

This pre-installed Norton package is very likely limited in time, e.g. you will need to buy a subscription later on.
Have you already decided if you want to do this, or do you want to use free solutions?

If you are not going to keep Norton in the long run (i.e. pay), then you're better of switching to free solutions right now. The laptop is brand new, removing and installing security software now is less likely to impact other applications. For a list of solutions, take a look here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405.html

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

In addition to Didier's link please take a look at: Answers to common security questions: Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus but an anti-malware scanner. It does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thanks guys and sorry for the delay in replying. It has now been decided, for better or for worse, to go with the pro versions of Mbam and Avast and the free SAS.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users