Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have no idea... seriously

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shinsei89

Shinsei89

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

I don't even know where to start here... I rebooted my computer this afternoon (I forget why) and was greeted with a BSOD. Didn't phase me so I tried safe mode. Once again a BSOD. Turns out something happened to my boot.ini (or something) so I did a repair from the disk (after multiple failed "do-it-yourself" attempts through other options). Now I can get into safe mode and log in as the admin, but I can't log into MY profile. It also says this copy of windows is not activated. I also cannot access "C:\Documents and Settings\Dei_Mos" (my folder, in case it isn't obvious as it is) and when I click it an error comes up and says:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Dei_Mos is not accessible

Access is denied."

What is going on here? It's been working perfectly for I don't know how many years and all of a sudden I get thrown this crap? Please tell me if there is any further info you need to figure this out.

Edited by Shinsei89, 22 December 2011 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

Unless you post the details of the error messages received onscreen...there is little that anyone can offer in the way of constructive suggestions regarding such, IMO.

Your activation issue...needs to be ironed out with Microsoft. I'm surprised that you are able to boot into Windows if that is an issue.

System manufacturer and model?

<<...so I did a repair from the disk...>>

What exactly...did you do? What disk are you referring to?

Louis

#3 Shinsei89

Shinsei89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

It is an HP Pavillion dv1000

"...needs to be ironed out with Microsoft...", How exactly should I do that?

"...What exactly...did you do? What disk are you referring to?...", Um... the XP disk. The only disk I have.

I Booted from the disk following these instructions:

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

2. This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Which error messages are you referring to? The current one about access denied? That's all it says. If your referring to the BSOD's, I have no idea. It just recently finished the repair process and I'm still trying to see what I can access.

#4 Shinsei89

Shinsei89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:39 AM

Ok, I've had some more time to see what I have here and calm my mind (a little).

I am unable to log into my User profile. If I don't start in safe mode it'll load the admin profile by default. However, when that happens I'm greeted with a few error boxes:

Windows Product Activation
A Problem has prevented Windows from accurately checking the status of the license for this computer. To proceed your copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft.
Do you want to activate Windows now?
(Yes)(No)

I click Yes and it takes me to the default desktop (the one with the grassy hills and blue sky) however nothing further happens.
I click No and it logs Admin off. Seems to get stuck at "Saving your settings"... Then it logs back into admin and the cycle continues.

Booting into safe mode lets me get into the computer. From what I've seen so far nearly all programs & files are accessible... as long as it has nothing to do with C:\Documents and Settings\Dei_Mos. When in windows explorer and I hover over the folder "\Dei_mos" it says EMPTY. All restore points are gone as well. When I try to access my user folder in cmd, I get this:

The system cannot find the path specified.

If anyone has any idea what has happened, please tell me.

Will these problems go away and bring my computer back to normal (as in usable in normal boot mode and be able to log into MY user profile) if I can get past this activation issue?

If at all else, is it possible to recover any files that was in my user folder?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

You may have a damaged user profile...wild guess.

Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/corruptprofile.htm

Windows XP Problems if Your Profile Is Damaged - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326688

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

As for activation of an HP system...that can be done telephonically.

How to Activate Windows XP in 5 Minutes or Less Command-Tab - http://www.command-tab.com/2007/03/17/windows-xp-activation-in-5-minutes-or-less/

How to find a phone number for a Microsoft Product Activation Center - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/

You might also consider the possibility that file system or hard drive problems...are the root cause of suspected damage to the profile and activation files.

Louis

#6 Shinsei89

Shinsei89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hmm, I must have really fragged it up. Is there any other way to work around the activation stuff (whether considered "legal" or not)? It won't connect to the internet, I click on the stuff that should prompt the activation stuff but nothing happens. Calling would be a waste because there is nowhere to type the info into the computer since it never comes up.

I just tried the steps for backing up. No luck. Though I was able to get as far as creating a new profile, It was still the same result... Access Denied.

Anything else I could check at this point? Or would it be best just to wipe the drive and do a fresh install?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

I really cannot tell you any more than I have.

Since we haven't determined what the problem is...I can't tell you what will be effective and what will be a waste of time/effort.

I will say that, before I even thought about deleting/reinstalling...I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic to assure myself that the a problematical hard drive is not the root cause of these scenarios.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#8 Shinsei89

Shinsei89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

Ok, I'll give that a try.

Thanks for taking the time to (try to) help me with this. I greatly appreciate it. I just wish I knew more to tell you what the heck happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users