Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help cloning a hard disk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

I am running windows 7 64 bit, on an eMachines lap top, I have purchased an external HDD and now I am trying to create a perfect copy of my system. I used DriveImage XML but it failed. I have used this program in the past with great success on a different computer running WindowsXP.
The failure I get is "failed to lock drive". I've tried skipping the lock drive option and going straight to shadow copy; same problem.
I can only assume the failure to lock drive is based on permissions and files being in use. So I think I need to attempt this without loading windows. Is there anyway of running a "free" drive cloning program from a DVD or USB Flash drive without booting into Windows?
I would just bit torrent a win7 OS, install it on my external, and run the program from their, but I don't want to have to resort to law breaking, and I have never run linux.
Or if anyone happens to know how I can get around the drive lock issue.

Also I tried using a "backup" feature on Paragon Partition Manager, it did "backup" the system, but it didn't clone the drive. All the backup files are written in directories such as "C:/archive/" and thus I assume there is no way of booting into a system written that way. I assume it's like windows system restore, and what I need is a bootable image of my primary drive.

Oh and I should clarify, that it's not my external drive that fails to lock; the external HDD has been formatted, partitioned, and can read and write data just fine, and has way more than enough room to copy the HDD in my lap top.
Also, the HDD on my lap top has 1 primary partition, with two logical partitions. I have no idea what the logical partitions are for and if that could be causing the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

The two free programs that come to mind are: EaseUSŪ Todo Backup Free 3.5. You can clone, image, backup and restore via a bootable CD.

The second is Macrium Reflect Free. You create an image from within windows. You can also create a bootable CD but for restoration purposes only.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hi, As Artrooks suggested "EaseUSŪ Todo Backup Free 3.5" does work and is what I have used the last few times.
I'm pretty sure I used it from within windows 7 64 bit to restore my brothers virused boot drive.
Note that if you use a SSD it has a check box to optimize for SSDs. It does however have the ability to create bootable media.

Another suggestion if you have a Seagate or Western Digital hard drive they have free versions of Acronis that will run if it sees the matching brand of drive in the system.

The external drive need not be partition for a disc clone.

AT least one of the two logical partitions is most likely the recovery partition. The other could be related or it could be diagnostic partition or it could be a special partition that holds the software if your laptop is one of those that supports playing DVDs without booting windows for example.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Well, I just found out those 2 logical partitions are primary partitions, maybe I seen "logical disk" and thought "logical partition". I was able to use EaseUSŪ Todo Backup, but I can't boot from the external HDD. So something isn't right. I set my BIOS to boot from USB, and I know for a fact this machine is capable of booting from a USB flash drive, so I don't think that's the issue.
In Windows Disk Manager, I noticed some things between the original drive and the external drive are different.
Attached is a photo.
In this photo you can see that on disk0 (the original internal) has Boot, Page file, crash dump. While on disk1 it's just a primary partition and nothing more.
Also, on disk0 the "system reserve" partition has the word "system" in it's description.
Does this mean I have to modify partition markers, like setting things to active, or does this mean essential files did not copy over during the cloning process.

Attached Files

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

It looks to me as if you used a option to clone one or two partitions and not the whole drive. Easeus Todo can clone just one partition.

I'm afraid you'll nave to reclone. Be very careful not to clone the wrong way.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Ed_Zipper

Ed_Zipper

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

I found a hardware solution for all Win 7 cloning. I bought it and it does work perfectly. No computer needed. Secondary HD must be the same size or larger.

My link

#7 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

actually I cloned disk to disk.
If I had chosen to simply copy a partition, I could only select one partition at a time. I've heard stories about people who've backed up their win7 only to have it say that the license was invalid. It was believed because some manufactures may put special files on an additional partition, and without that partition some activation key wasn't showing up.
I can't risk something like that, because this computer doesn't come with a rescue CD, there is no way of reinstalling windows if this lap top messes up.
I guess I just have to try another program. Preferably one that runs from a CD without the need to boot windows, to ensure there is no file permission issue. The only problem with CD's that run on boot is if it uses a Linux Kernel, I get a blank screen due to a monitor driver issue. I've already made a post about it.

If I find a program that does it's job, I'll be sure to write back and let everyone know what program and method I used.
PS. This is why I hate factory made computers, multiple primary partitions that make backup a nightmare, no Windows CD to reinstall the system, Linux driver issues, and if you alter anything at all you invalidate your entire warranty.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

I believe that a Linux problem lets out Apricorn and Acronis programs as I believe they use a linux boot disc.

It is a shame that easus didn't work as it comes able to make a linux or WinPe boot disk.

As artrooks suggested here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic434036.html/page__view__findpost__p__2520819 try the macrium program.

Good Luck

167 @ June 2015

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

<<...but I can't boot from the external HDD.>>

Well...if you are trying to boot an external hard drive...that may increase the difficulty.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-windows-7-be-installed-to-an-external-hard/a3b25a42-894a-49a9-99fb-3ab1c970f4f9

OTOH...removing the drive from the enclosure and attaching it to the motherboard...should boot without problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users