Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD after reinstalling mobo

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 little rat

little rat

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

long story short, my power supply died. got a new power supply (the wrong one at first) which made me think that the motherboard had died. got a new motherboard, and it took me that long to finally figure out that the power supply was not what the seller was supposed to have sent. so i finally got the right power supply, reinstalled the old motherboard, and that brings us to today.

i am working with a Dell Precision 670, windows XP OS. no extra hardware was installed or removed. bios 7, sp2 (i think... maybe it was 3).

after fixing the boot sequence, i now get the dreaded BSOD
0x0000007B (0xBA4C3524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
i can run the setup utility, i can even get the start up screen that asks if i want to do a safeboot, but everything leads back to the bsod.

also i can't find my boot disk. i know i have it, i just can't seem to find it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

BSOD VIEW -
To further help us can you please follow these directions for Blue Screen View -
Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .
Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.
When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.
Save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply -

Thank You -
EDIT - I now note that you cannot boot the system normally.
You may be able to try the above in Safe mode with networking (if it will boot that far).

Also noted STOP 0x7B ... , it is most likely the use of a SATA HDD that is the problem.
Try changing your BIOS to "IDE-compatible" setting?
If this is a problem please post back for further advice -

T.Y.

Edited by noknojon, 23 December 2011 - 12:14 AM.

#3 little rat

little rat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

thank you for any help you can give

no, i cannot boot normally, and it won't even let me boot in any of the safe modes.
i am about to go in to work (where the computer is right now) so will give the bios change a try. will post back asap

also, i think i found my installation CD. i am hoping it is for my computer and not the computer i had before it.
plus, if i need to download anything, i have a thumbdrive all ready.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

<<i am about to go in to work (where the computer is right now)...>>

To whom does this system belong?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ws670/en/ug_en/abtmetro.htm

Louis

#5 little rat

little rat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

i work for my parents (single store business). the system "belongs" to them, but it is mine and my responsibility to keep it running. my dad is the only other person in the business who knows as much (if not more) about the internals of a computer, but he is much less internet savvy so it is up to me to seek help. all the passwords are mine, the administrator account on this computer is mine.

LOL and thanks for the link to the dell system. i have been camped on that page for the last two weeks.

Edited by little rat, 23 December 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

Knew that I had forgotten something...you are using the same hard drive...through all the hardware changes you made?

If so, I suspect that you are not taking into account the fact that Windows sees a change of motherboard as a change of systems, since the drivers and settings from one board...do not normally transfer to a different board.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#7 little rat

little rat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

ok, i have skimmed over that and will do a complete read of the article, but i noticed it doesn't really address my particular problem.

it should have been nothing more than a power supply problem. when the power supply didn't power it up, i thought that i needed to get a new mother board. (dell's diagnostic code on the 670 gives you the same code for a power supply problem and a mother board problem... really smart, right). well, when i found out i had the wrong power supply, i put the old mother board back in.

i now have the original mother board back in the machine.

i just tried to do a repair installation and it says that there is no hard drive in the machine, even tho i have checked 500 times that it is in, seated nice and tight, in the same spot. i only have one hard drive so it is not even a matter of master and slave. the computer diagnostics tell me i have a hard drive in the case, it can check it for health of the drive, but it refuses to acknowledge that is part of the system i am trying to boot up.

only one thing i can think of is that my dad decided to tinker around while i was gone one day (during which he managed to lose a connector i needed for my monitor) so he may have done something to my system.

i am so tired of banging my head against a desk.

#8 little rat

little rat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

i am also trying to figure out how to change the hard drive from sata mode to IDE mode. can you specifically tell me where to change it. i haven't been able to locate that option in the bios

#9 little rat

little rat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

ok, i feel sheepish.
i just found the spot where i needed to change it to IDE.
and badabing! i gots me a working computer! time to back up everything onto an external drive.

thank you for all your help.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

Well done!
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

For future reference, http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ws470/en/ug_en/advfeat.htm#wp1132153

Nice work, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users