Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Burner Or Software Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eb14

eb14

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

Hi. I hope this is the appropriate forum for my question!
I looked through recent posts for a similar problem, but didn't see it, so I apologize if this problem has been dealt with before!

I'm having some sort of problem ripping CDs to mp3s and I'm not sure if the problem is my actual mechanical CD burner or the software.

My purposes for making the mp3s is for an mp3 player. I started out using the software it came with (Creative Zen Micro). the first couple of Cds went fine. Then, one day I uploaded about 2 or 3 CDs and then it wouldn't let me upload any more. The ripping process would just stop. And when I listened to the resulting mp3s, they had slight, fast skips in them.

I later tried Windows Media Player (thinking the problem was the Creative software). It uploads my Cds fine, but also has the skips, although not as many. It seems there are a few at the beginning of songs, and then usually the rest plays fine.

As far as quality, I'm using 128 or 256 kbps MP3s.

Since I had the skipping problem on both programs, could it be my actual CD drive that is the problem???
Thank you in advance for help!! I just want to be able to load these CDs so I can enjoy my MP3 Player (which is great by the way! I recommend the Zen Micro)!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eb14

eb14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

I forgot to add this:

- the skip problem also happend when I ripped a CD using the CD's own software (one of those awful Sony protected CDs, the one the lawsuit was over? didn't realize it until after I put it in my computer). So, that would be a 3rd software that caused the skips (in addition to Windows media and Creative).

- I can hear the skips when listening to the mp3s on my computer, so I know the problem isn't the transfer process. And teh CD plays just fine before it is ripped.

Sorry for the double post!
Thanks!

Edited by eb14, 06 February 2006 - 12:29 PM.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

buy a CD/DVD lense cleaner. It sounds like a dirty lense may be the cause of your problems. But first make sure the disk isnt scratched too bad. All CD drives are set with differant tolerances for scratches. Example it stratches in my car, not in the PS2.2, wont even play in the XBOX, loads a blank screen on my linux box in drives 1&2, but plays fine on the M$ computer. (BTW Im talking about a CD Extra (KoRn- Life Is Peachy)). If your disk is scratched a local gamestore that sells used games should be able to clean it for you.

Posted Image

#4 eb14

eb14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for the reply! I think I will try the lense cleaner. It is not my CDs because I am extremely meticulous in the care of my CDs. all Cds stay in their original case with original booklet, etc. I'm just really picky about that!

The CDs do play fine before being uploaded to my computer - would that affect the dirty lense theory?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users