Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drive Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ParLawGod

ParLawGod

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

I am having trouble getting CD/DVD drives to open on my desktop computer. I've tried two different drives (that work on other towers, I tested them) and they will ONLY open up when a CD/DVD is already INSIDE. The drives make a sound - almost like they are trying to open but are being blocked - even took the drive out of the tray to see if that was the case, still no luck.

I've tried a system restore, uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, everything short of reinstalling Windows XP (Home) I think. Tried restarting and opening in the BIOS, still won't. Also tried opening before the Windows logo would show during boot up, won't open.

So, two good drives that won't open...puzzling to me...

Any advice? Thanks!

Edited by ParLawGod, 22 December 2011 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

I've had two of those with same kind of behavior. Sometimes pressing pin hole will open but definitely not worth it. Its a mechanical problem on drives but in my case have replaced them after 5 years of good services. Not being used optcial drives could also cause this problem.

Tekken

#3 ParLawGod

ParLawGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Both are working drives - they work on one desktop, but not the other. Definitely an issue with the tower itself.

#4 JMSaviour

JMSaviour

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

Both are working drives - they work on one desktop, but not the other. Definitely an issue with the tower itself.

Sounds like they're not getting power. Perhaps you have too many things plugged into a too small watt PSU, or perhaps a bad connection. Try different power source? Try unplugging an HDD or different optical drive and testing if that power will work in the ones that aren't working? Might need a new PSU.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:47 AM

and they will ONLY open up when a CD/DVD is already INSIDE.

I thought I was basing on this facts. :)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users