Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

having trouble with Unbuntu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hello,

Another issue with the computers I'm trying to fix, this one is with my gateway. (I have other active posts regarding this and another computer). I'm using boot Med Unbuntu and its working just fine. BUT, when I used wine to config a new letter thing (followed dirrections here "http://www.myfixlog.com/fix.php?fid=43", step 4) in order to scan with stinger and/or ClanWin the "Path/media/(hard drive name)" isn't showing up in ClamWin. Is there something that I did wrong? WHat do I do?

Well, I redid it without restarting my computer and the second time it showed up. Then, I thought the scanner froze so I shut down the computer and restarted and did everything all over again, and the same thing ... i had to make the letter thing twice. Why is that? Is there something Im doing wrong, I dont want to do more harm to my computer or unnecessarily repeate steps, etc.

Thanks!

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal - Thank you ^.^ , didn't see this topic section option.

Edited by Ariana Anora, 22 December 2011 - 10:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

I have no idea what this means: "I had to make the letter thing twice". Do you mean once before shutdown and once after? Or twice each time?

If after reboot, that's because everything you do on the live version goes away. If twice each time, I can't say. I used to use WINE, but I found it can be quirky. Same with the Windows executable for ClamAV.

I don't know anything about that distro. All of the Windows viruses/trojans/worms I ever got rid of using linux I did in a different way. I used an online scanner, wrote down every place the bug showed up, booted into linux, mounted everything read/write and deleted the files manually that way. (I found when I did that many of the places the things were supposed to exist were empty because the nasties were designed to give false positives in order to hamper cleanup.) Then booted into Windows and did another online scan to make sure it was clean.

#3 buckydd

buckydd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

an alternative, wine free way is to try using clamtk. its the same clam antivirus program but a graphical linux version of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users