Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secure with no encryption

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hotwired99

Hotwired99

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hi
I would like to secure my personal files BUT ... I don't want to use encryption UNLESS there's a better solution than axcrypt. I like axcrypt ok, it's that every time i open a file, and make a change to it, there's a 'sharing violation warning' and I have to save it as a word doc, then encrypt that, then delete the origianl. I turns 3-4 minutes of office work into a half hour. I know it's important but there has to be a better way, like password protecting entire computer or password protecting folders.

Perhaps encryption would be ok if I could find soemthing less arduous than axcrypt. Perhaps there's a setting I am missing that will allow encrytped files to be opened, edited, then resaved wihtout the above mentioned process?

Thanks much for any hints or help.
merry Christmas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

Is it just Word documents you want to protect? Because MS Word offers encryption.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Hotwired99

Hotwired99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:12 AM

word docs are primary, but I would like to be able to do excel and pdfs as well (many of my bank and brokerage statements are in pdf formats, and I make budgets for my business is excel).

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:51 AM

Word, Excel and PDF are file formats that support encryption.

For example, in Word or Excel, look at File / Save As / Tools / Security options ...

For PDF, it depends on the tool you use to produce them. Or are these PDF files produced by somebody else?

Can you explain more about the protection level you want to achieve?
For example, are you the only user of these files, and do they always stay on your machine? Or do you have to share them?
From whom do you seek to keep these documents private? Against a casual observer, or against dedicated attackers?
Do these files have value to criminals, or only to you?

Knowing a bit more of the context would allow me to better help you.

Edit: also, let me know which version of Windows you use.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 23 December 2011 - 05:53 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users