Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install disk question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Yoji

Yoji

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

My nephews Laptop Hard drive has died.... really dead - no chance to get anything off it.
This means that any recovery partition is gone as well.

For info - its a Packard Bell - model EN-TN36

It had Vista 32 bit - home premium - and I guess that means an OEM version.
From my machines etc I have lying around:

- Vista Ultimate upgrade disk (32 and 64 bit disks)
- Vista Ultimate SP1 - OEM 64 bit disk.

I seem to reecall that install disks include code for all versions and you just specify at install time which version you installing, and that would ofc be validated when you put in your windows key.... but im not sure on this. And I am not sure if that extends to OEM versions.

So my quetions....
- Can I use any/either of my existing disks to install Vista 32 bit home premium - such that it will accept the existing windows key he has?
- If not - I guess I can download an Vista 32 bit home premium OEM ISO - and that will work with packard bell?
- I guess his code will not allow me to go 64 bit? is that correct?

Any help guidence appreciated - I would like to know what will work in advance rather that try things out, find it does not work and then have to redo it all.

So whats the position please?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hello Yoji,

Can I use any/either of my existing disks to install Vista 32 bit home premium - such that it will accept the existing windows key he has?

To my knowledge, a retail version of Vista will not accept an OEM key. If your Vista Ultimate, SP1 OEM was Packard-Bell and not another manufacturer's version, It might work with the side label key. I believe the key determines the Vista version that is installed.

If not - I guess I can download an Vista 32 bit home premium OEM ISO - and that will work with packard bell?

I've never seen one. If you do, let me know. (No torrents please).

I guess his code will not allow me to go 64 bit? is that correct?

Again, OEM key won't work with retail Vista DVD; whether 32 or 64. A retail Vista Key on a retail Vista install would work on either 32 or 64 bit versions but only one version could be activated. Again, if your OEM Vista Ultimate SP1 64 is a Packard-Bell OEM disc, it might work. If it's from another computer manufacturer, it probably won't.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users