Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Issues, 2 Computers!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ariana Anora

Ariana Anora

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

I have a Gateway and an HP, both with screen issues that seem to come from elsewhere in the computer. They're both laptops. I have an external monitor (big box thing, green screen, lol) I used to help with these issues, that works fine when hooked up to my BFs laptop, so I'm pretty sure it's not the screen with the problems I've listed below.

The gateway W3501 (Windows Vista) is three years old and has been unplugged for that long. If I hook the gate way up to the external monitor there were origionally horozontal lines all up and down the screen "bouncing" up and down. I looked up in the internet that "twisting" the area just below the LCD might fix this and so I gently did this, and now I have three persistant thicker lines hovering at the top of the external monitor screen. The lines seem to be running to the right, if that matters.
The origional screen is conpletely split. I asked a boyfriend to help with other issues it and another laptop were having (don't remember what now) who broke them after we broke up before I could retrieve them and I have no idea what he did to them. The other computer is long gone. What might be the problem with this one, as far as the screen goes? This issue started about 3 years ago and I just never got back to my gateway till now.

The HP pavilion Dv5-2035dx (Windows 7) I have I killed myself. I flung it right on the corner of a counter (I'm a clutz :'( ) and it was already malfunctioning and had a bad hard drive which I was going to replace later; but I had an Unbuntu DVD I was using just fine until the counter took my pooter's life. Its been pretty banged up. When I hook that one up to the expernal screen the external monitor just stays off and the "I'm on" button on it keeps flashing, just as it does when it's hooked up to nothing. The HP is newer (1 year, just after the end of it's warranty and insurance) and has the function where the Caplocks led flashes when there's an internal issue, and it keeps giving me the two blinks, the BIOs corruption failure one. But when I first turn it on it does like 8 blinks quickly (in what looks like sets of two sometimes}, but the codes only go up to six, so I don't understand, unless it's being hyper and giving a bunch of 2s in a row? And the two blinks go on, forever repeating. I have no idea what to do with this one. It also had a virus that was bad Win7... :'( that was days and days of work for this to happen, durring which I may have deleted something (probably a bios thing, there was one delete i did that i was leary about) while going through and manually removing a few things before finding the online HP scanner. So, now what?

I looked all over the internet for the HP and im pretty sure its a BIOs problem, probably compounded by other issue(s). I made recovery dvds (Windows), an Unbuntu boot&recover files DVD, and I'm waiting for an external HD to arrive to transfer my files, which I had to do more work for after the HD arrives since the Unbuntu CD didn't pull them up. First the windows wouldnt boot for which i made the windows recovery disk, then my bf wiped my computer (has a computer degree short of an internship, so I'd hoped he'd have more solutions that would be better to use; not this one, though) and so i made the Ununto DVD in hopes of recovering my data and it was working fine but i still needed the external HD. and then the counter assassin came to finish the job of killing my computer whose deff down for the count now. and After about 2-3 weeks of this for this HP im exhausted and so I turned to my Gateway in hopes of an easier fix with it and I'm too exhausted to research for it too, at this point. I don't know what to do for these guys anymore. If i can find my unbunto DVD i will try it with my gateway and come back with a post edit. Ubunto DVD is working for the Gateway. The initial screen was pretty bad but the unbuntu launch page is working well, this is on the external screen, of course. Ubuntu is working fine on the Gateway, I think I'll be able to make this one work. I'll come back about this computer if not.

If I said Dell anywhere I meant Gateway, I do that all the time, sorry.

I hope someone can tell me whats wrong with these two guys, I miss them both :( Thanks so much for any help.
-Ariana.

Edited by Ariana Anora, 22 December 2011 - 02:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users