Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bloatware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

I searched this topic and was unable to find a tutorial. I am wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction for removing all this stuff my HP Compaq Mini CQ10-400 came with. It is running Windows Starter. There are so many things loaded and it runs slower all the time. Thanks in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2011 - 04:22 PM.
Moved from Buying New Computer to Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

Go to "start," "control panel," "programs," and click the link to uninstall a program. A list of all of the "value" hp added to your pc will spring open, and then you can click the ones you don't want and uninstall them from there. If you don't want to completly uninstall things, or just want to stop them from starting up, though, there's other things you can do.

Edited by Required Field, 22 December 2011 - 12:07 PM.

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#3 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Ok,so I guess my main problem is I don't know what I can safely uninstall. For example...Cyberlink DVD suite...I don't have a CD or DVD burner on this computer...can I get rid of it? What about HP Cloud Drive? HP Media Suite, Navigator, Quick Launch, Set up, Software Framework, IDT Audio? Etc etc...how do I know which things I can uninstall without wrecking my computer's functionability?? Thanks again.

#4 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

Cyberlink DVD suite may be useful if you ever decide to hook up an external optical drive, but if you think it's slowing you down, or just don't want it, go ahead and uninstall it. The cloud drive is a utility for "virtual" storage. In otherwords, you upload files, pictures, etc. not from your computer, but from a server or group of servers on the web. That's actually pretty usefull, and the software that resides on your physical system shouldn't be holding you back. Definately leave the IDT audio alone. Removing it may very well cause problems with your sound. The rest of what you describe sounds like the usual hp junk. My best advice is to make your recovery disks and an applications and drivers disk. There should be a recovery media creator under "All Programs" that will walk you through it. Of course, in order to mke recovery media, you'll need to either hook up an external DVD burner or use a flash drive. Anyway, when that's all done, you should be able to remove whatever you want,and if it turns out you needed or wanted it after all, you can put it back with the recovery.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#5 JustLearningSue

JustLearningSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users