Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Manual Bios Reset

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AkaAlias

AkaAlias

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:58 AM

Hi, it has been some time since it was neccesary for me to ask you guys for help, but now the time has come again. I had to reset my bios this weekend, because the comp showd all the signes of starting up, but absolutly nothing showed on my monitor. After a reset of the bios, everything works again, accept i haven't got a connection to the internet..

Any idea why?

greets,

stefan.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:56 PM

When you say that you reset the bios, how did you do that?

What is your operating system?

Have a look at Device Manager for your Network Adapter or Modem or Dial up Adapter (depending on how you connect to the net). Look for any yellow exclamation marks or question marks and let us know what you find.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

I manually reset my bios, to the letter as the manual of my mobo said.

OS is Windows XP sp2

Network adapters all look fine, nothing unusual.

Couldn't it be anything in the bios, i'd have to change..?
Posted Image

#4 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

Hi. How does your computer connect to the internet? An USB modem? Perhaps the BIOS reset turned off the USB devices.

#5 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:55 AM

Nope, no usb. direct connection with cabel thru router. It can't be the router, can it.. because this computer is connecting to the same router, and everything works fine..

*edit*

Just found out something strange.. I can't connect to the internet with IE or FF, nor can i connect MSN or such..

But i can use a P2P program called soulseek. wich does get a connection..? Maybe this means something to you....?

greets, and thanks,

st.

Edited by AkaAlias, 07 February 2006 - 05:13 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:37 AM

This sounds like a firewall issue now. Do you have one and are the permissions set to allow these programs?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

I fixed it!

Aparantly it had nothing to do with me resetting the bios, or with usb connectors or firewalls.. It seems that our provider has changed somethings, and i had to change the DNS server settings.. They just didn't think it was necesarry to warn us about it.. :s

Oh well, sorted it out now, and i'm back online!! Thank god, terrible to be an internetjunkie and not having acces to it :D

anyway, thanks for trying to help me out!

gr,

st.
Posted Image

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:28 AM

Great news, thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users