Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows XP system restore point

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 godsdomer

godsdomer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:10 AM

I'm just knowledgable enough to be REALly dangerous on a computer, this is my first forum entry and I tried to follow the "windows xp system restore" tutorial, but am still stuck.
Our 11 year old Vaio with xp-home has been running slower than dried mud lately. I've already defragged what is left of the free disc space (about 16%), and did a disc cleanup. Avast for the last 3 scans has found many files that cannot be scanned. About 2 weeks ago, they were all .dll files. I tried to do a speed test earlier tonight (for other reasons as we are on a satellite ISP and I need to find something faster), which failed due to "latency test error". I ran another Avast scan to see what changed and now there are many more files not able to be scanned, some .dll, .png and many others. Unfortunately I did not make screen prints of the results. and I did not run the 2 spyware downloads, or the 2 malware downloads noted in a different tutorial yet. I hoped I could make it all go away by restoring back in time. all of this is background info to get to my point; I read thru many tutorials and now forums, but need further help.
after working thru the tutorial, clicking and unclicking the turn off system restore button, I tried to do a system restore to a previous point in time and only see today's restore point bolded on the calendar. tried to go back to find other restore points but the calendar will not go back in time. I see no sense in restoring the computer to today's restore point, as there is a problem now. but see no other options in the restore point calendar.
help!! it's too late/early...and I'm stopping for now... ( I am typing this on a newer laptop. so I can read the tutorials and refer back to the stuck Sony Vaio)

Edited by Orange Blossom, 29 December 2011 - 12:32 AM.
Moved to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

The problem you are describing with system restore can sometimes be caused by malware. I'm moving this topic to the forum where we can begin addressing your computer problems.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

after working thru the tutorial, clicking and unclicking the turn off system restore button, I tried to do a system restore to a previous point in time and only see today's restore point bolded on the calendar. tried to go back to find other restore points but the calendar will not go back in time.

When you turn off System Restore, Windows automatically removes all the restore points that track changes in Windows so you can no longer restore Windows to an earlier time.

When you turn on System Restore, Windows creates restore points to track changes and they can be used to restore Windows to the time of the earliest available restore point. If you turn on System Restore immediately after having turned it off, there will only be one newly created restore point.

Turning off System Protection for a disk deletes all restore points for that disk. You cannot restore the disk until you turn on System Protection again and a restore point is created.

Turning System Restore on or off

By design System Restore runs in the background and when monitoring is enabled, will automatically create a new restore point every 24 hours (system checkpoints). Restore points can also be manually created by the user at any time. When the allotted disk space is reached, the oldest restore point will be purged on a first in first out (FIFO) basis. Otherwise, restore points over 90 days are purged automatically. See Understanding System Restore.

I've already defragged what is left of the free disc space (about 16%),

Insufficient free disk space can be the cause of various issues.
  • System performance decreases.
  • Applications are slow to load.
  • Problems with instaling new programs.
  • Frequent unexplained freezes.
  • Hard drive spins excessively.
Problems from Insufficient RAM and Free Hard Disk Space <- this article applies to Mac but the prinicples are the same

Forty Ways To Free Up Disk Space
10 Best Guides to increase Hard Disk Space in windows 7 and Vista
Step-By-Step: Reclaim Hard-Drive Space
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users