Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 3000: RAM upgrade or not?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:40 AM

Good morning & Happy Holidays to all!

(System info is listed in signature line for your reference). The Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop (purchased used in late 2010), running Win XP Pro with 512 MB RAM & 3.00 gHz CPU, is getting somewhat slower...in booting/restarting, internet access, even just opening a Word or Excel file offline seems to take too long at times. (NO viruses, malware, etc are present either).

I've looked on the Newegg.com site (using their scanner device they have as well to scan my system) to see what RAM upgrades are available for my machine. (I was unable to append a copy of the scanned pdf page from the Newegg report here; there doesn't seem to be any way to do so). It appears they recommend an upgrade to 2 GB (1 GB x 2)...in keeping with the manufacturer's specs.

My question: Given the computer & OS I presently have, would it be worthwhile to upgrade the RAM from 512 MB to 2 GB to (hopefully) increase the operating efficiency, or should I just consider looking for another used computer with more than 512 of RAM installed?

Thank you for your time and any suggestions!

Edited by spc3rd, 22 December 2011 - 06:44 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hi there,

would it be worthwhile to upgrade the RAM from 512 MB to 2 GB to (hopefully) increase the operating efficiency
Yes

How to find memory best suited for your computer
I would recommend Crucial's system scanner to tell you exactly what you need.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 22 December 2011 - 11:39 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

Thanks very much for the info, Reviversoft! As it happens...that Crucial system scanner is the very one I used yesterday to check my system!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

Yep I ditto reviver it will most definatly boost the speed I installed more ram in an older Pc and it turned out to make enough of a difference to where they didn't even need to go buy a new Pc so with ram being pretty cheap it is a very worth while upgrade

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for the added vote of support, Blaze413! It's much easier to make sense of things when there's at least some concensus among those who are thoughtful enough to respond to an inquiry.

Have a nice holiday season!

Edited by spc3rd, 23 December 2011 - 06:30 AM.

spc3rd

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Well...IMO, anyone buying a system that is not being hawked as the "greatest thing since sliced bread" by the Big Boys...would certainly get their money's worth buying a system that was brand new and pushed last 1-2 years or so.

Sometimes we tend to forget...these companies are in the business of producing and selling products...and the products they were pushing on you 18 months ago...still has all those features that they wanted too much money for then :).

Consider the time of year (not Xmas, but end of business year/inventory reduction time/new systems produced every week, etc).

And then there are the "refurbished/recerified" systems comming off business leases which have a warranty, include an O/S but may have minimal RAM included.

There are options to be explored, IMO, which could benefit a lot of users/owners out there throwing money at older systems that should be left behind.

Louis

#7 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

I appreciate your information, Louis!

The one unfortunate limitation in my personal situation is I have to subsist upon a limited, fixed disability income (lifing from one month to the next)since complications have been arising from two surgeries I had to have a few years ago for adrenal CA. It forced me to have to retire early (am now 59). Not to sound pitiful here...but I wouldn't even have THIS used computer were it not for the kindness of the one genuine friend I have who purchased it for me (on Ebay or Amazon I think). What financial resources I once had were completely wiped out by all the medical expenses, so there's no reserve funds to help out in my situation.

So as you can see...my options are extremely limited. I just keep trying to manage as best I can though.

Best wishes to you and yours for a nice holiday season, and thanks very much for replying back!

Edited by spc3rd, 24 December 2011 - 12:46 AM.

spc3rd

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:57 AM

Understood, as I also exist on a limited (but sufficient) fixed income (courtesy of SS and a military retiree pension) :).

Financial/living situations should always come first...before pursuing personal preferences/desires.

But the question I always ask myself before spending on anything like a system or components for either of my two systems...is...what do I do when I can no longer approach this as if it can be repaired or improved piecemeal? What if that happens next week, next month...and the cost of patching to solve the situation...is not feasible?

A system with a warranty...provides at least one year of answering those questions...for users who don't feel comfortable diagnosing and switching out...the various components reflected in a computer system, IMO.

Louis

#9 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

Well Louis...it seems, ironically, that we both do have ONE thing common in our respective personal situations. The disability income I subsist upon is both from the VA (for a service-connected, obstructive, degenerative, respiratory condition called bronchiectasis that developed after a near-fatal bacterial pneumonia), and a small disability benefit from SS as well!

The respiratory condition is in the same class as asthma, COPD, emphysema, etc...and this is in addition to the adrenal CA problem (and some other chronic issues as well), like being on chronic pain management...resulting from the adrenal CA complications.

I'll sign-off now as I rarely ever get into mentioning the personal issues I've imparted here to you. It tends to be really depressing for most people, who'd rather not hear about such things. At least you have a unique understanding of my situation and expended your time and efforts to help me with the issue I posted about...for which I am very grateful. (If I've been too depressing in my response here...please forgive this old vet for "ramblin-on").

(Thanks for listening)!

Edited by spc3rd, 24 December 2011 - 10:33 AM.

spc3rd

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

FWIW you do not have to jump to 2Gb in one shot. In your case I would get a 1Gb memory and leave one of the two 256Mb sticks that it most likely has in the computer. That would give you 1.25Gb memory. If you have a one 512Mb then you would end up with 1.5Gb total as they add and do not have to be the same in a Dimension 3000.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 24 December 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

Thanks very much for the additional suggestions, Rotor123! That option would probably be a little less expensive as well!

spc3rd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users