Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spoofstick

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 05 November 2004 - 09:59 AM

Here is an excellent tool for both Firefox and IE users:

What is SpoofStick?
SpoofStick is a simple browser extension that helps users detect spoofed (fake) websites. A spoofed website is typically made to look like a well known, branded site (like ebay.com or citibank.com) with a slightly different or confusing URL. The attacker then tries to trick people into going to the spoofed site by sending out fake email messages or posting links in public places - hoping that some percentage of users won't notice the incorrect URL and give away important information. This practice is sometimes known as “phishing".

SpoofStick makes it easier to spot a spoofed website by prominently displaying only the most relevant domain information. It's not a comprehensive solution, but it's a good start. For example, if you're on the following URL (this is a real, legitimate ebay url):

http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?
SignIn&UsingSSL=0&pUserId=&ru=http%3A%2F%
2Fcontact.ebay.com%2Fws1%2FeBayISAPI.dll%
3FShowCoreAskSellerQuestion%26requested%
3Ddominicsmusic%26de%3Doff%26iid%
3D3711129021%26frm%3D284%26acceptcookie%
3D0%26loginconfirmed%3D0%26redirect%3D0%
26pass%3D%7B_pass_%7D%26userid%3D&pp=p
ass&co_partnerid=2&pageType=711"

Spoofstick will say: "You're on ebay.com".

If you get fooled by going to a spoofed site, for example http://signin.ebay.com@10.19.32.4/ (a "spoof" example used by ebay in their customer outreach),

Spoofstick will say: "You're on 10.19.32.4"

You can download it here:

Spoofstick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

Neat! Thanks! Now if FF would let me add it to an existing toolbar instead of having its own full size toolbar it would be really neat.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:06 PM

This is a nice extension for the Firefox browser, except it adds another 1/2" +/- tool bar to the page. I like what it purports to do for us. I guess I'll just have to get a "taller" monitor display screen. Are there any 24" by 20" units out there yet? (Tee-hee)
Never mind, I'll work around it.

Thanks Grinler - a good tip.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:11 PM

Yeah i found that annoying to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users