Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stupid dell

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fallinfrom0feet

fallinfrom0feet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:03 AM

this has got to be the most frustrating computer ive ever worked on.

Heres what we have to work with... help if you can :)

dell laptop n4020 - originally installed with win7

issues.... when i first got it the whole computer was SLOWWWWWWW. everything would work fine, load windows, load whatever random crap the user had auto run... but in the middle of it running those programs the computer would almost freeze. Id try to open task manager to end some of the programs. it would take task manager a good 10 mins litterally to come up. so i wiped it and went to do a clean install. but i couldnt install realizeing that someone decided to change the harddrive settings to sata, when its not a sata.

problem solved i thought.

but nowwww the big issue.

i cant install 7, or vista. it gets apears to intall untill it does that reboot thing to finish the install. then i just get the "start in safe mode ect. ect." but it wont load windows. i just get a black screen of bs.

HOWEVER... just out of farts and giggles i decided to install XP... works perfect! installs just fine! BUT ALAS... DELL DOESNT SUPPORT XP FOR THIS MODEL. so i have NO drivers. therefore no internet, weird screen res, and so on.

any idea wtf is going on... i dont understand why it will install xp and nothing else. or anyone know where i can just get drivers for xp!?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:26 AM

I'd suggest starting from scratch...

1. Remove and reinstall the HDD on your laptop
2. Start up your computer, access the BIOS (Setup), check to see if your HDD is being detected correctly.
3. If things seem fine, change the Boot Order Sequence in the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD Drive first.
4. Now insert your Win 7 OS(or Recovery) disc, save the BIOS settings and restart the computer.
5. It should now start reading from the disc and bring up the Windows 7 installation screen.
6. Use the installation to format the C: Drive, select the partition again and proceed to install Win 7 on it.

If you've done the above correctly, the new installation of Win 7 will be successful. No more problems!

(NOTE: Formatting the drive will erase all your data)

Edited by ReviverSoft, 22 December 2011 - 02:27 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

FYI That is not that old of a laptop and should be SATA drives and support AHCI for the drives.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users