Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

URGENT please IE Webpage Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

This is an urgent problem as i need to access my Internet banking, apart from other sites which are essential to me. I have HP Presario and work in Vista.

Almost everytime i try to reach a website i get the familiar massage 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' etc etc. An example is on one attempt to my bank, i got as far as typing in my passwords, then got the IE sign again when trying to go to the next step.

I have had 4 trys at a new restore point. All this succeeded in doing was to de-activate my Avast security, which has been in use for much longer than the first restore point. I have tried a hard reset too which did nothing at all.

A FULL scan with Malwarebytes found nothing. What is extra tiresome, is that i cannot re-activate the Avast, even when i downloaded the system again from scratch. (Incidentally they installed Chrome at the same time, which i didn't want!) Clicking on the Avast FIX IT sign doesn't work at all.

I really hope that some kind person can help me with this as soon as possible please as the computer is getting almosy unusable. I would be most grateful to say the least!

Thanking you in anticipation.

JH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:55 AM

How very strange! The Avast problem appears to have solved itaself. However the IE trouble continues and getting worse!

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your problems. A few questions, if I may...until some of our more experienced forum members & Moderators can arrive to review your post.. Which Avast security product are you presently using?

I gather you have already taken the step of clearing out your cookies and browsing history?

Also, did you happen to install or modify any other programs/applications prior to this Internet problem starting? Have you observed any other odd or uncharacteristic behavior either before the problem started or since?

Edited by spc3rd, 22 December 2011 - 08:02 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Have you tried using a different browswer? Sometimes when IE won't work another browser will.

You mentioned Chrome was installed. If you have not uninstalled Chrome try it.

Firefox is also a good browser to install.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 December 2011 - 10:01 AM.

#5 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

Thank you your Majesty, and Pete!

I am using the Free Home version of Avast which has been very successful for me for well over a couple of years. The only strange thing is the way it came back to life today, after dying on me. As i said, i made a numbere of unsuccessful attempts to bring it back to life earlier.

I have tried both Firefox and Chrome before today without any success. Firefox can't be downloaded by me because of some proxy problem. Strange, especially when i don't have anything remotely like a proxy in my computer!

My computer is kept squeeky clean at all times so cookies, and such things, don't figure in any of it.

There really is nothing i can think of which might have triggered it off.

Thank you both very much for your interest.:thumbup2:

Regards
John

PS I live in the Philippines so i may be way ahead or behind anyone who replies!

Edited by John in Oman, 22 December 2011 - 11:13 AM.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

Try resetting the Internet Explorer settings. You could also try reinstalling it.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hello John
Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if it is working again.

You did not confirm if you did this.

Clear my web browser's cache, cookies, and history
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Thank you Reviver and boopme.

Things get more bizarre. The problem has cured itself overnight!! I had heard that viruses can suddenly disappear, but this seemed to be a major IE problem in my uneducated IT mind. Anyway that is it, for the moment. If it rears its ugly head again i will yell for help.

Incidentally boopme. I don't seem to have a run box as such. There is this small area in the bottom LH corner under All Programs. but nothing happens if i type anything in there. I would like to solve this proxy business tho.

Many thanks again, and a Merry Christmas to you all. :santa:

John

Edited by John in Oman, 22 December 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#9 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

I'm YELLING!

The darn thing is back again. :censored: No problem with Avast tho thank Heavens.

Thanks in advance.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

John in Vista
Click the Start orb
In the Start Search box Type type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if it is working again.

Edited by boopme, 23 December 2011 - 08:08 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

boopme

Many thanks.

Have done that but no proxy was marked,

Regards

John

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.

#13 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Thank you very much boopme...here is the result

C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\trzBF29.tmp a variant of Win32/Kryptik.HWB trojan cleaned by deleted quaranteened

Maybe this has cured it!

Regards, John

#14 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

It hasn't!!

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

Lets see if we can find a missing service.

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users