Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front Panel ON/OFF switch.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:42 AM

I just upgraded my MOBO. I have only one problem.

The front panel switch on the old MOBO is a 13 pin one. On the new MOBO, it's a 10 pin switch. It is also too short to reach the connector on the new MOBO.

Can I buy just a switch??

Here's a link to the new MOBO in case it's helpful.

ASUS MOBO

If I buy one, I don't know what category to look under. I just know I can't turn on my computer!!!

Thanks a bunch

Edited by Booh-kitty, 22 December 2011 - 12:43 AM.

Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

Front panel headers are all alike, though sometimes the manufacturer will put them all together as a single plug for easier installation. This, however, makes it difficult to use the same headers for different motherboards, which is what's happened to you.

The headers look like this if they haven't been combined into a plug:
Posted Image

Any replacement front panel connector (which will include power/reset button headers and LED headers) that looks like that will work on any motherboard.

They're pretty cheap, too. Here's one for $7. With this particular replacement kit and some hot/super glue, you can connect the headers to the motherboard (see the diagram on page 1-26 in the MB manual) and glue the buttons/LEDs to the case.

#3 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:54 AM

Thank you so much!!!

I was SO excited when my new MOBO got here this afternoon.

You can only imagine how disgruntled I was when I ran into this problem!!

In your opinion........

I've replaced or upgraded everything on my computer system. The only original things on it are the CPU and the case. Does this count as a complete system build???

I'm working on my geek-ness! :crazy:
-Henry Ford

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:32 AM

I've replaced or upgraded everything on my computer system. The only original things on it are the CPU and the case. Does this count as a complete system build???

I'm working on my geek-ness! :crazy:

CPU + CPU Cooler + MOBO + RAM + Video Card + CD/DVD Drive + HDD + Power Supply + Cables and Connections = PC Case = Complete system build :)
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

Very nearly a complete build, but not fully I'd say. If the CPU were replaced then I'd consider it a complete build since all the internal gubbins would then be new.

#6 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

Well, how about 75% built? :) The important part for me is that I know that I can build a computer from scratch! Which I plan to do next.

I'm aiming to get the i7 2600K! Can't wait. I just need to get the other one up and running well in the mean time. Don't know if I'll sell it or keep it yet. I do however plan to salvage some of the stuff on my current system, as much as possible anyway. Want to put as much money as I can into a new MOBO and processor ya' know! I think those are the most important parts to consider in a build and most expensive :) May as well get the best I can right away.

Edited by Booh-kitty, 22 December 2011 - 01:23 PM.

-Henry Ford

#7 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

I definitely plan to get a new case though. Things are a bit cramped in my mid-tower as it is. I wan't an extra fan. Don't have that option on the case I have now.
-Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users