Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Infection Not Responding to Attempts to Fix

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Upset and confused

Upset and confused

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I found it while looking up solutions to malware problems. While on Facebook, I accidently clicked on a link that brought me to an infected page. I saw some obviously fake messages about a virus, did not click on them, and attempted to run Trend Micro Titanium which was already installed on my Eee PC. Whatever malware or virus I picked up appeared to have disabled Trend, so I quickly downloaded Avast, which was also soon disabled by the virus. Based on the description of virus symptoms on this site, I thought that I might have the Win XP Security virus, so I attempted to use that solution. Usiing a clean computer, I downloaded FixNCR, RKill and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on to an external drive and then on to my infected Eee PC. The first two programs seemed to run very effectively. The third ran slowly but isolated and eliminated 2 Trojan Fake Alert files, one Adware.MyWebsomethingoranother file, and a PUM Disabled file. I then attempted to run System Restore, but I was not able to access a restore point before today's date. Additionally, when I tried to run Anti-Malwaare again, I received a message saying that my version was out of date. I could not update because the virus has been denying me an internet connection. No matter what site I try to access a message bubble from my toolbar tells me that I have low or no connectivity. Once I connect to IE, I get a message that says IE "can not display the webpage." Additionally, my firewall is down and I am unable to restore it. I also can not use F8 to get into safe mode. It seems like this virus is always one step ahead of me. I can get into My Documents and the Games file.

I would prefer not to wipe the whole computer as it has some programs on it that I can't easily replace. Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users