Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best AM3 CPU for upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

Hi, I am wanting to upgrade the CPU on my Biostar TA785GE 128M motherboard.

I know my system is outdated but...

MB spec says:
Supported Socket AM3 processors AMD Phenom II X4 / Phenom II X3 / Phenom II X2 processor

Which means I can't use the AM3+ processors, I know.
But does this mean I can't use a Phenom II x6 CPU ?

I currently have:
AMD Phenom FX-5000 Quad-Core Processor 2.2GHz.
8 GB ram.
XFX Radeon HD 5550 1GB Video card (which Im going to upgrade too).

So my question is...

I know there are 840s... 955 Denebs....965 Blacks... etc.

What is the best CPU I can install ?

I use this computer for Photoshop and some light gaming.

Thank you very much.

Edited by TNF, 21 December 2011 - 08:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

Your motherboard can support the Phenom II X6, here is the support list. This processor would be fine for gaming and specifically Photoshop, there is a higher clocked version but it is out of stock.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:22 AM

Ok, thank you for the response.

I have a question though... when I read through the specs I don't see mention of the "x6" CPUs...can you tell me where it says it can support it ?

(Im not arguing with you I am just trying to learn)

I do see this list of supported CPUs...

•AMD Phenom™ II X4 Processor
•AMD Phenom™ II X3 Processor
•AMD Phenom™ II X2 Processor
•AMD Phenom™ X4 Processor
•AMD Phenom™ X3 Processor
•AMD Athlon™ II X2 Processor
•AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core Processor
•AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
•AMD Athlon™ 64 FX Processor
•AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor
•AMD Sempron™ Processor
•Maximum CPU TDP (Thermal Design Power) : 125Watt

and this...

•Supported Socket AM3 processors AMD Phenom II X4 / Phenom II X3 / Phenom II X2 processor
•Support latest AMD Phenom X4 , X3 / Athlon /Sempron processors

Thank you very much.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

Click on the link Killer provided and then click on the CPU support tab. Note that AM3 CPU's are the end of the line for upgrades on that motherboard. AM3+ CPU's, such as the FX CPU's, are not compatible.

3939.png

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

Also one more thing to mention is to update your Bios to the latest one, so the CPU can be detected.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

Click on the link Killer provided and then click on the CPU support tab.

Thanks, I swear I thought I clicked on that before.

Also one more thing to mention is to update your Bios to the latest one, so the CPU can be detected.

Yes, thank you.

#7 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

A follow-up question...

For gaming and photo editing..

Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz Black for $150

or

Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz Black for $200

(Those prices are just quick Amazon price checks, I'm sure I can find better).

also, what is the "Black" designation?

Thanks again

Edited by TNF, 29 December 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

For gaming and photo editing, a quad core CPU will work well. The six or eight core CPU's are meant for people running programs that are highly threaded or will take advantage of the additional cores. These programs are often 3D modeling, rendering, or scientific applications. Very few games take advantage of more than four cores, most only use two.

As for the Black Edition, that is AMD's way of saying the multiplier is unlocked. An unlocked multiplier makes the CPU more easily overclocked. Any Phenom II that is Black Edition has this and all FX CPU's do too.

3939.png

#9 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

For gaming and photo editing, a quad core CPU will work well. The six or eight core CPU's are meant for people running programs that are highly threaded or will take advantage of the additional cores. These programs are often 3D modeling, rendering, or scientific applications. Very few games take advantage of more than four cores, most only use two.

As for the Black Edition, that is AMD's way of saying the multiplier is unlocked. An unlocked multiplier makes the CPU more easily overclocked. Any Phenom II that is Black Edition has this and all FX CPU's do too.

Hi, I apologize for not thanking you sooner. I know it sucks when you help people and they don't acknowledge your effort. Just been busy.

I was wondering about the very thing you mentioned above... if I needed 6 cores at all, or should I just get a quad core with a faster processing speed. I don't know enough about the software I use, as far as how it uses the processor I mean, so I was thinking of future-proofing it.

My main goal, though... is to upgrade to a processor that will (hopefully) give me a noticeable speed increase.
That said... since I want to upgrade video too... I don't want to spend over (or near) $200 for the CPU.

I know the AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz (black) is only $145 on Amazon.
Or the 975 3.6 GHz for about $160.

Any recommendations? Again.. with the older board I have (AMD3, DDR2, etc)

Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by TNF, 09 January 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

Why not go look at benchmarks on the current vs the proposed CPU and then decide.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

Why not go look at benchmarks on the current vs the proposed CPU and then decide.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

...Because I don't know a whole lot about benchmark scores vs. real life.

Thank you for the link, and I have collected data there previous to starting this thread.
I do appreciate the help.

But the issue for me is this...

My current CPU has a score of 3,032. Pretty low on the list, so anything should be an improvement.
And the Phenom II 965 I mentioned scores 4,294. But I don't know what this means to me (real life).

When I see scores over 15,000, then going from 3,032 to 4,294 doesn't seem like all that much.
But since I'm dumb to a lot of this, maybe someone can tell me with the things I do, as stated earlier in the thread, will this be a "real life" noticeable difference.

Seems like you're telling me to "go look myself" instead of asking here (I'm doing both).
But I'm hoping to gain an education on this and not just know what the benchmarked scores are.
The people here have been very helpful, just as they were when I built a couple gaming machines for my boys last spring.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Indeed, most synthetic benchmark scores are pure trash, actual real-world benchmark's are a better indicator of performance. The Phenom II 955 and 965 are technically the same hardware, same with the 975. The later versions typically have a higher price along with a higher clock, but they are the same just with more QA to determine if they can handle the clocks. The Phenom II X4 960T's are a bit different, they are the six core CPU's AMD has, only with two cores locked with Turbo Core still operational.

3939.png

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Most of my experience is using multi-threaded applications for Video where the benchmarks have tended to be close to real world experience. This is of course staying in the same family. Example would be going from Q6600 to Q8800.

Not going from AMD to Intel.

Either of these would most likely do you fine.
I know the AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz (black) is only $145 on Amazon.
Or the 975 3.6 GHz for about $160 .

And the benchmarks would be relevant between those two choices AFAIK.

DJBPace07, IMO since comparing the 955 and 965 and the 975 is staying with basically the same CPU, benchmarks should be useful in deciding which of the three to choose from, Your opinion?

Between different families of processors less useful and between different brands not useful at all.

And between other CPUs and Bulldozer useless.

And of course if you wanted to see the results of tweaks and overclocking then benchmarking the same computer could be useful too.

Benchmarks are a tool and as with any tool, it is all in how you use it.

Edited by rotor123, 09 January 2012 - 04:25 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 TNF

TNF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thanks guys.

So hopefully my last newb'ish question....

I do Photoshop (and other photog progs like the resource hog Capture NX2),
and I play some BF3 and MW3.

(btw, the games seem to play fine, but it's the waiting for things to load that is slow... the computers I built for my boys with all newer hardware, load everything very quickly).

Here goes...

For real life, hopefully noticeable, speed increase
over my quad core 2.2 GHz CPU...

Go for a higher quad core GHz ? (such as the 3.4GHz x4 965)

Or a higher benchmarked x6 ? (such as the 1090T)

Thanks a lot for all the help.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

If you are comfortable overclocking, buying the Phenom II X4 955 and overclocking it to 975 levels would be cost effective. According to Biostar, the 975 is not supported. As for the difference between the X4 and the X6, it really depends on what you're doing. Games are just starting to use four cores, but almost nothing outside of rendering and number crunching programs uses X6. As for the benchmark scores, the benchmarking program may have utilized all six cores, but in real life, six cores are rarely used.

3939.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users