Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Won't Connect To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 degas

degas

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

I'm trying to fix my computer that can't connect to the internet, here's the specs:

HP Pavilion a1210n
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon64 Processor 3500+ 2.20GHz, 1.93 GB of Ram

The problem is I can't connect to the internet after removing about 6 or 7 trojans from the computer.

I went into the device manager and under non plug and play drivers the IP Network Address Translator, MpKslfff0f9ec, Security Services Driver (x86), TCP/IP Protocol Driver all have yellow exclamation points next to them. When I try to start each driver I get the following problem, each get the same first part of the error "The system encountered the following error while attempting to start the service" then it follows with:

IP Network Address Translator Properties - The dependency service or group failed to start.
MpKslfff0f9ec - The system cannot find the path specified.
Security Services Driver (x86) - The specified driver is invalid.
TCP/IP Protocol Driver - The dependency service or group failed to start.

I've tried the netsh-winsock reset to reset the TCP/IP stack but that still didn't fix my problem.
I've tried replacing the srv.sys driver but couldn't find one on my recovery disks or the internet.

When I try to connect to the internet I get an error code 720 with "failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection" error.
The internet connection problems only started after I installed and ran the program Combofix. I've tried numerous fixes the past 2 days but still can't connect to the internet with the PC. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

Go to Device Manager...change the view from Devices By Type to Devices By Connection...had that backwards, switch from Devices By Connection to Devices By Type.

List the items with yellow markings.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#3 degas

degas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Go to Device Manager...change the view from Devices By Type to Devices By Connection.

List the items with yellow markings.

Louis

None of them come up then.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

In that case...I suggest setting your Internet connection up anew, using Control Panel/Network and Internet Connections.

All of the services you listed should have been set up when the connection was established. I can't guess what happened to them, but it's simple enough to try to create a new connection.

In your process of attempting to remove malware...you may have damaged or removed key system files. Trying to set up a new connection should reveal such.

Louis

#5 degas

degas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

In order as they appear under Non-Plug and Play Drivers when Show hidden devices is selected.

-IP Network Address Translator
-MpKslfff0f9ec
-Security Services Driver (x86)
-TCP/IP Protocol Driver

#6 degas

degas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

An error occurs when I use my Aliant High-Speed installation CD while configuring my computer for an internet connection, unfortunately the program gives no form of error code. I have another computer on the network, the one I'm using at the moment, and all the cables, router, etc. are working fine. The problem only seems to happens with this one computer.

#7 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Hi degas,

The infection may have changed your settings..Go to internet options>>click the 'connections' tab..At the bottom of the box that opens click the "LAN settings" button..Under 'Proxy server' section make sure that 'use a proxy server for your LAN' is unchecked..

Pauline

#8 degas

degas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hi degas,

The infection may have changed your settings..Go to internet options>>click the 'connections' tab..At the bottom of the box that opens click the "LAN settings" button..Under 'Proxy server' section make sure that 'use a proxy server for your LAN' is unchecked..

Pauline

I checked and the "Use a proxy server for you LAN" was unchecked.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

Try WinSock XP Fix from here
I have used it many times with success
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 degas

degas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:54 AM

Try WinSock XP Fix from here
I have used it many times with success

I've tried both that WinSock XP Fix and resetting WinSock to factory defaults through cmd.exe in Dos mode and neither did it for me. Thanks for the help so far guys/girls. :thumbup2:

#11 degas

degas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

I have exactly the same machine and problem. Have followed along, did the winsock fix you recommended plus another one fromand still no internet. When I click here for internet connection help I get socket initialization failed message. my modem and router are working as I am on my laptop and on the internet. I am 61 and a novice to this stuff (I'm not a luddite but I am a dinosaur). I found my Qwest DSL installation CD and thought I'd try a reinstall that way but am worried it could foul up the connection I do have with my laptop, or are they separate?

I tried reinstalling my Aliant internet with the supplied disk and it didn't work for me. That said it didn't mess up the connection for the Gateway Desktop using the same router.

#12 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Are you running IE5.*, or has IE been updated to 7.*?

If so, some info;
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00809092&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1118241&tmp_track_link=ot_search
It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

#13 degas

degas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

I'm running Internet Explorer 8 version 8.0.6001.18702IC, though Mozilla Firefox 8.0 is my main browser.

#14 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

Hi

Download

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FSS.exe

Launch it

* Click on "Scan".
* It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
* Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

#15 degas

degas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the help guys but you can direct your advice to Eyesee now, I couldn't leave my computer in slings any longer so I moved everything I wanted from my hard drive to another and did a full system recovery, problem solved.

Edited by hamluis, 24 December 2011 - 07:04 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote, added emphasis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users