Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to tell if fan is full speed?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kimbobimbo

kimbobimbo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

I have a Gateway NV7915u laptop running windows 7. My computer reaches 90'c and shuts its self off. That's what my i3 processors shut of temperature is. At first it was just getting hot when I would use big programs, play games, or watch movies. At that time whenever I wanted to use a big program I would just put a cheap external fan under my laptop and that seemed to work. It got hot last night and shut it's self off which it's done many times over the last year. When I turned it on this morning it only takes about ten minutes to reach the 90'c without any programs running. My fan DOES work and there's no dust blocking the vents. I've cleaned it with compressed air. I use HWMonitor to check my temps and I have speedfan installed but I'm not sure how to use the speedfan. I don't want to damage my computer any further. How do I tell if the fan is running at full speed or is there something else I should check. Thanks in advance for help. I can post a screen shot to speedfan if necessary.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

That's what my i3 processors shut of temperature is.

That was your Mainboard that have autoshutdown function if your processor reach some level of degree to protect that processor gets burn.

Does your Laptop still under warranty? if yes you could consider to bring it to Gateway.

An attempt to fix this only with disassemble your Laptop and it void your warranty :axe: so if your laptop still under warranty will be better to bring it to Gateway :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 kimbobimbo

kimbobimbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

No longer under warranty :( It started 2 days after it expired. I was hoping to find some kind of fix.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

1. Take it to Gateway and have them check for overheating. This would mean disassembling the laptop, checking everything and putting it back together again.

or

2. Buy an effective laptop cooler stand for your laptop.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 22 December 2011 - 11:27 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 kimbobimbo

kimbobimbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

So I did a system restore. It had something to do with a windows update and it's helped a little bit. It will at least stay on now with the extra cooling fan. I still seem to be running hot. I know laptops are tight on space but could I buy a better/stronger fan for it or should I just stick with the laptop cooler until I buy a new laptop.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

If the air blowing out of the heatsink is not hot when the CPU reaches that temperature then I would suspect that the heat pipes that carry the heat from the CPU to the cooling fins has failed. I've seen that at least three times on laptops. Two Toshiba laptops I saw that on had also killed the motherboard. Fortunately they were still under warranty.

A lesser alternative would be that the attachment to the heatsink from the motherboard has failed or that the Thermal compound has failed.

If the air coming out of the laptop is very hot then you have other problems.

My guess is the first item I listed if the air isn't coming out hot and with a good air flow. The CPU fan is temperature controlled in laptops to enhance battery life.

"

So I did a system restore. It had something to do with a windows update and it's helped a little bit. It will at least stay on now with the extra cooling fan. I still seem to be running hot. I know laptops are tight on space but could I buy a better/stronger fan for it or should I just stick with the laptop cooler until I buy a new laptop.

No way to add a better fan I hate to tell you. A cooling pad will only help a little bit. Check the air temp before something gets damaged.

Edited by rotor123, 23 December 2011 - 04:50 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

You could do some trick, usually laptop cooler fan have 2 or 3 fan, release the fan from that extra cooling fan and put it right at the exhaust hole to pull out that heat, but please be carefull when you put that fan because it will make shake a bit and could make that fan drop to floor, tie it up will be better.

No way to add a better fan I hate to tell you. A cooling pad will only help a little bit. Check the air temp before something gets damaged.

I not agree with you about this, if you know how to playing around with cooling pad you will not saying this, for what put a fan under your Laptop? it will make that heat playing a maze at inside your Laptop and could burn something.

Edited by abauw, 23 December 2011 - 06:54 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

But that makes it not very portable.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

same thing happened to me a few years back. if you do open the computer, chances are you will see a heatsink over your chip clogged up with debris so that the pushed air can't flow easily and take the heat away from the heatsink. clean the heatsink with a toothpick or something similar, just nothing metal. also, sometimes when a laptop gets opened,, there is a reset procedure you need to look up before you open it. hope this helps.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

Sometimes external fans would help a lot dissipate heat and at the same time look for the exact mounting designed for the laptop.

Tekken

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:29 AM

You never did mention if the air blowing out is cool or hot or if it doesn't feel that strong for the way the fan is racing?

167 @ June 2015

#12 kimbobimbo

kimbobimbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

Sorry I took so long to get back to my post(vacation)but to answer your question about the temperature of the air sometimes it's just warm air blowing out and sometimes the air is so hot it will burn my legs.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

1. Basic: Make sure you are not blocking the air inlet on the bottom by setting the laptop on something soft or cloth covered.
2. When the laptop is running very hot bring up the Taskmanager and see what the CPU usage is. High usage = more heat generated.

There is a very big compromise in a laptop for the CPU and Video card cooling system compared to a desktop computer. Thus they are bad for anything that loads the CPU such as video encoding.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users