Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Cant See My Media Thingy .....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:29 AM

:inlove: Bimey crikey..now what have I done...ok...got bought an Mp3 player...came with cd..installed cd as per instructions..had probs..puter wasnt recognising the hardware. :) .so..took back to shop..man there told me that as I have Windows XP I dont need to stick the cd in..just plug in the mp3 player and XP will do the rest...I didnt know that so silly dolly me then!!

Anyhoo...I had installed the Samsung Media Centre from the cd so came home and uninstalled it and the USB DRIVER thingy also on the cd....now then..after stupidly just taking out the mp3 player without clicking on the icon that appears in the taskbar that tells you when its safe to do so (doh!), I managed to reset the player and tunes I had downloaded on there were ok and everything was hunky dory...BUT...I have just tried to put in a cd to copy onto Windows Media Player or indeed iTunes and the box that comes up asking you what you want to do with that cd isnt coming up!! I get the cd symbol but then nothing...I am fairly sure I have deleted something without realising it..(easy for me to do you know...)
:thumbsup: :cool: When I was uninstalling stuff...I had a look at my windows update history and saw that there was a Windows Media Connect 2.0 and an Update for WMDRM enabled media player..so...thinking that because these may be conflicting with something (other than my brain cells) I uninstalled em...!!

Can anybody please help a silly billy Dolly get back what she took off, as in the Media box thingy...and in simple terms if poss..cos I am officially old now..!! :flowers: :trumpet:

THANKYOU PLEASE..XX

JUST THOUGHT...SHOULD I HAVE POSTED THIS IN WINDOWS XP? IF SOMEONE COULD LET ME KNOW...DONT WISH TO POST SAME THING TWICE....THANKS!

Edited by Dollyeyes, 07 February 2006 - 06:29 AM.

Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

hi Dollyeyes
to transfer your music from Windows Media Player onto the mp3 player, all you have to do is right click on each track you want on your mp3 player, select 'add to sync list' when they are all on the sync list, make sure that your mp3 player is plugged in to the usb port.... and click on.... start sync.
As for the Windows Media Player Connect 2.0 you can download it from....Windows Media Connect
As for the question about the cd.... try this....
go to, 'my computer' right click on the drive that you put your cd into, then select 'properties', click on the 'autoplay' tab, and make sure there's a tick against 'prompt me each time to choose an action' then click 'apply' see if this helps.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:12 AM

:inlove: hey...Starbuck...right...I knew how to do the transfer of songs onto my mp3 player as I had already done that..BUT...twas when i put another cd in to download that I noticed the prompt that appears to ask which media player and what you want to do with your cd (ie burn or play)..didnt come up!! :)

Should I have the Media Connect 2.0 wotsit? :thumbsup:

...and finally, thankyou for the hint re the cd...I shall indeedy do that..... :flowers:

It was good of you to take the time to answer me...being as I send you barmy everytime we chat on msn......!!!! :trumpet: :cool:
Posted Image

#4 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:29 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers: well..ive tried the My Computer thing...it was already set at 'Prompt me'...but anyway...I tried to do it manually asking it to play my cd and it wouldnt...its still not working...Im thinking iv done some damage so that I can no longer play my cd's or indeed copy em onto my puter...oh..woe is me.... :inlove: :cool:

HELP!!! :trumpet:

Edited by Dollyeyes, 08 February 2006 - 05:30 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:51 PM

..ok...i have put the cd in ...clicked on the drive where it was and this time it worked...so can play it and rip it and burn it and stand on it and all sorts..BUT.. me still mystified as to where the media box prompt has gorn..its still not showing..ah well..at least I can play my cds and whatever doing it the other way! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:57 AM

:thumbsup: Gordon Bennet...now then...my man gives me a Spanish cd which he wants me to copy onto another blank cd...BUT..because my Media prompt doesnt come up Im stuffed....if anyone can help I would be most grateful...cos I have no idea what I have done to make that prompt box thing disappear...Im hoping its something simple that I have unticked..or ticked...PLEASE HELP!! :flowers: :trumpet:
Posted Image

#7 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:49 AM

:thumbsup: ok..im answering myself here but only so anyone who views can see what ive done.....I have now managed to copy the Spanish Cd onto a blank cd..had to go round the houses a bit tho....copied it to iTunes and then burnt it onto the blank cd from there!! :flowers: So...man happyful..BUT..Im still mystified as to wots happened to the Windows Media prompt box..the one that asks you what you want to do every time you insert a cd..it almost loads then doesnt...its SOOOOOOOOOOO frustrating....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ..ANYONE..CAN YOU HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHY IT HAS GORN OFF?

:trumpet:
Posted Image

#8 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

Fearnot Dolleyes,

Click Start-->My Computer-->Right-Click the Disk Drive you use to load CDs with-->click Properties-->Autoplay

You will see a drop down menu, choose Music CD, or any other command you wish to set. Then choose one of the options presented in the Actions box.

"Select action to perform" - sets which program automatically opens the media.

"Prompt me each time to choose action" - This brings up the box your looking for that lets you choose.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#9 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:05 PM

:inlove: hi nosnhoj#3....great avatar by the way.....okies..have done all that you say..and still it wont do...it looks as if its about to..then nothing..no prompt at all..ive done all that you said...put music cd then asked it to prompt me each time...and nothing..the prompt box wont show up....ive restarted puter to see if that would help..nada..nothing...its sooooooooooo frustrating..cos im sure its a simple check or uncheck somewhere..at least i hope it is... :thumbsup:

One other thing..do you have to clean your disk drives..wonder if thats it...when i put a cd in to play for example the little cd icon comes up (sometimes ) but then it disappears and my Avast ball wotsit spins round...its like it wants to but cant...doh....doh..doh... :flowers: :trumpet: Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:03 AM

hi Dolly
Sometimes autoplay can be disabled in the registry by a cd burning application.
If you want to check this....
click start ~ Run ~ in the run box type Regedit, click ok.
in the Registry Editor locate the following registry key...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutoRun
Double click on NoDriveAutoRun and make sure that 91 is entered in the Value data box....
But please remember not to make any changes to the registry unless you are really sure of what you are doing and make a backup before changing anything

BBPP6nz.png

#11 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:03 AM

:thumbsup: Hi Starbuck!! so then...did that..but couldnt see anything that said NoDriveAutoRun.....honest..!! What should i do now then? :flowers:
Posted Image

#12 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:20 PM

ok Dolly
let's just check that you have navagated this properly......
Click on the blue square next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Click on the blue square next to Software
Click on the blue square next to Microsoft
Click on the blue square next to Windows
Click on the blue square next to CurrentVersion
Click on the blue square next to Policies
on opening Policies you may only have Explorer, just click on the word Explorer....
NoDriveTypeAutoRun should now appear in the right hand column

is that how you checked it??

BBPP6nz.png

#13 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

You might want to check this out.....
Auto Run Doesn't Work

BBPP6nz.png

#14 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:39 AM

:thumbsup: Hi Starbuck!! Now then..silly dolly didnt realise she had to open all that other stuff you typed... :flowers: ...but anyhoo....i have indeedy done all of that that you suggested and changed the value to 91...rebooted puter..still not working!! :inlove:

So..shall i try to uninstall the cd rom drive then as suggested in that link you gave me? OOER...Im scared now...!!! :trumpet:
Posted Image

#15 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

:thumbsup: ok..Starbuck if you get to read this...ive just checked something....i did the HKEY wotsit thingy and changed the value to 91...then i tried the cd and the prompt didnt come up..so...i restarted the puter again...went to check the NoDriveAutoRun to see if the value still at 91 and guess what...IT WASNT...in its place was ff which was there to begin with!! :inlove: :cool:

Think i better go and lie down for a bit.......... :flowers:

Actually, it was 0x000000ff (255)....cos ive just switched puter on and its back to that...even tho i changed the value to 91........pills anyone..? anyone got pills??? :trumpet: :)

Edited by Dollyeyes, 22 February 2006 - 05:36 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users