Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kat91119

Kat91119

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

My mother has an HP that runs Windows Vista Premium Home. Its about 3-4yrs old. Two weeks ago the power went off for a few minutes when it was on or in sleep mode. When she tried to turn it back on, she could see the "cd light" blink once or twice, the fans came on, but no power. I found the directions to unplug all the cords, and hold the power button down to reset it. Well, it worked. I then ran Malwarebytes, and it did find one or two things, but they were removed.

Today she called me to tell me the same thing happened. But the power never went out. She had it on, and it must have gone into a sleep mode, and nothing worked to bring it out. She had to reset it again.

Does anyone know what would be causing this to happen? I'm wondering if its something I could easily fix myself, or if we need to bring it to someone to be repaired.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hello kat91119,

Some people have been able to awaken the monitor when the computer is in "sleep" mode by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL (not holding them) and then clicking cancel.

You could try going through this troubleshooting guide: How to Troubleshoot a Vista or Windows 7 Sleep Mode Problem.

You will note that they recommend updating the display drivers and the system bios, first. I wouldn't worry about the bios at this point but would check the computer manufacturer's web site to see if they have an "updated" display driver.

How to determine the dispaly adapter name and version then go to manufacturer's website:
  • First, click "Start" (the globe) and right mouse click on "Computer" and click "Properties."
  • Select "Device Manager" then click on the (+) next to "Display Adapters." Write down the make and model number.
  • Next, right mouse click on the Display Adapter and click "Properties," "Driver" tab, and write down driver date and driver version.
  • Now you can go the computer manufacturer's web site (i.e. Dell, HP, Acer, etc.), look for "Download Drivers and Software" (may have to click on Support, first). Enter either "Tag number" or exact "make and model number." Select the computer operating system (Vista 32 or Vista 64).
  • Look for your exact display adapter, note date and driver version. If newer, download and install.
  • Finally, proceed with the troubleshooting guide.

I hope it helps.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Kat91119

Kat91119
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

Thank you. I'll try that the next time I go over. I know that the CTRL ALT DELETE trick didn't work though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users