Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios problem in Dell laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

Hello, I decided that maybe this would be the best forum to deal with my situation as the problem of BIOS passwords must be a common problem for up-graders. Anyway, the problem is: I decided to buy my young grandson a laptop for Christmas so I bought him a second hand Dell Latitude D620 running WinXP Pro pre-installed. Everything seemed to be working fine, I added a few programs and did some general checks, until I downloaded Verity parental control software which my daughter wanted to have on it for obvious reasons, now the Verity program has a facility for limiting Internet access times and I noticed that the system clock was way off so I go into the Bios to change it only to find that it has a password protection on it so I could not change it, also I noticed that on boot up the system is generating a PXE boot error which I happen to know is because the network boot is set as first boot device, in fact the boot sequence that is set on the system is quite bizarre, device 1. On board NIC. device 2. Diskette drive. device 3. internal HDD. device 4. USB storage. and 5. CD/DVD/CD/RW drive, and obviously I cannot change these either. Has anyone any idea how I can wangle my way out of this situation?
Many thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 23 December 2011 - 01:25 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Please look up the Dell Service Tag number and read the documentation. It will detail the process of resetting the BIOS Password.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Have you asked the person you bought it from for the password?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for your help guys.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

Your CMOS battery is failing...the PXE error indicates that the BIOS has reverted to the network boot initially used to install Windows.

Combine that with clock problems...bingo.

http://www.amazon.com/CMOS-BATTERY-DELL-LATITUDE-Lithium/dp/B005KOMFNG

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users