Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Failure?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RaSkull

RaSkull

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:07 AM

I'm not sure if this is a drive failure or some other type of problem.

This morning I rebooted my computer, everything was fine until just before the "Welcome" screen shows. At that point I heard my harddrive stop and the computer started the reboot process again, I then heard the harddrive start up again like it had been in "Standby". It got almost to the Welcome screen again and did the same thing, drive stopped then restarted and tried to reboot again. This time I tapped F8 and tried to boot in safe mode but the same thing happened as before. I tried to boot in Safe Mode again and again the same result. Next, while it was rebooting I tapped F8 and this time I selected "Last Known Good Config" as the boot option and it booted up just fine. During this entire process I could hear a high pitched whine coming from the computer, not sure if the noise is from the harddrive or not but it quiets a bit after a few minutes after boot. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:25 AM

If you havent adjusted any physical settings on the harddrive, I'd say this is drive failure.

If it wasnt making such a high pitched wine I'd go with a corrupted windows installation, but because of it im going to say drive failure. If you have an extra lying around, Id switch out harddrives before you take the risk of possibly frying another part in your computer after it dies. If you can boot up, download whatever your harddrive manufacturers harddrive diagnostic tool, and see if its really dead.

Go through this list and download the tool for your harddrive,
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Once installed do a diagnostic and see if there are any problems.

#3 RaSkull

RaSkull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

Thanks Salo, I didn't realize that there was such a program! I not very tech wise, but learning, or trying to.

I followed your advice and the link and found the diagnostic utility for my hard drive. I did a "quick check" first and it found no errors. so I did an "extended" test and also found no errors. The high pitch wine I spoke of before got much quieter after rebooting in "Last known good config". And the computer has been rebooted 4 times now since then and has booted fine with no whine.
So now I'm wondering........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users