Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I download AV to Clean PC & transfer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

ESET has a specific removal tool for Win 32 / Olimark. TDL4 Trojan. My sons laptop is infected and I have taken it offline. I am not putting it back online until this is killed.
I already have started a topic in "Am I infected" and I am not trying to get around that. I just want to know the mechanics and specifics of downloading an AV tool on a clean computer ( My Desktop) and transferring to my sons laptop.
This may be pretty basic to many folks but I haven't done it before.
Do I download directly to my CD/DVD drive or elsewhere and then copy to a CD/DVD??
Advise would be greatly appreciated. Please be as specific as possible.

Thanks in advance
Nawtheasta

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 December 2011 - 10:38 PM.
moved from Tips and Tricks to AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

I feel it would be easier to download it to the Desktop then copy it to a CD or Flash Drive and install off that to the other machine Nawtheasta.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

If you don't have a CD/DVD drive or it doesn't work, I recommend using a "write protected" flash drive with a locking switch on the side or on the back. This write enabled/write block feature can be used to protect anything on the flash drive from being altered or deleted by the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

Hi Boopme and Quietman7
I don't have any USB sticks with a write protected switch. Good to know that they are available though.
I was able to make a DVD OK. I use my computer for business and some of the more basic things like copying a download to a DVD is something I had not done. Seemed pretty simply once I did it though.
Unfortunately the ESET tools for the Win 32 / Olimark Trojan did not find anything. I questioned the run time of each tool. About 1 second. ESET tech advised that this was normal as it just targets the operating system memory. Still seems odd it almost instantly said nothing was found.
The topic I started about the problem with my sons computer is coming up on three days with no reply.I will follow the instructions about this. It seems that this family of infections is really hitting a lot of people at present.
Thanks again for your input!
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:14 AM

I don't have any USB sticks with a write protected switch. Good to know that they are available though.

Maybe you have one of those SD Card USB adapters. SD Cards have a write-protect tab, as I documented here:
http://blog.didierstevens.com/2009/12/20/quickpost-read-only-usb-stick/

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the info about SD cards. I recall now they have that little slider. My big Black Friday purchase the last few years has been spindles of 100 DVD's for around $10.00 after rebates.At that price I'm OK with one use.

One more question.
I downloaded AV tools to my desktop and burned to a DVD. I then brought the DVD to my sons infected laptop. Is it OK to click the program to run from the DVD or is it necessary to copy it to the HD before I run it?
I ask this because when I clicked to run a particular tool directly from the DVD it instantaneously ( maybe 1 second) came back saying nothing was found.
Thanks in advance for advise!
Nawtheasta
Merry Christmas!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users