Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mobo question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

I have an aspire with a scoket am2 motherboard. My question is can I use a socket am2+ or does it have to be am2 only?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Your Acer has very limited CPU upgrade options as do most brand name computers.

You should talk to Acer support and see what they recommend for a CPU upgrade.
It isn't just the socket, Any CPU upgrade also has to have Bios support.

AM2 and AM2+ are different, Think about it this way if they were the same why change the name.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

My cpu is fine. Its the mobo thats fried. I am using this as a computer at my office. I was looking at the asus M4A78 as a replacement mobo. That gives me some cpu upgrade options in the future. The power supply is 500w so That should be good since it is not graphics intensive.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

Oh, that's OK then I just assumed you were looking for more performance.

Make sure that the Motherboard you are looking at can take your CPU. Pick the exact model from this ASUS CPU support page. http://support.asus.com/Download/ModelList.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=M4A78&type=5
Also look at the size to be sure it will work.

The other problem is your windows may not work with the new motherboard and Acer eRecovery will not work.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

Thank you sir. I'm not using the acer recovery (it was only vista basic). I am going to do a clean install with a new copy of windows 7. The mobo I asked about is supported. I can also go to an AM3 cpu later and not kill my windows install. I think it will be durable as an office computer for several years.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

It looks like you have done your research and should be good to go. I like ASUS motherboards, That is what I've used in my home desktops for years, I Am using a I7 w/ASUS and used a ASUS w/I7 for the build I did for my brother.

Don't forget to set AHCI in the bios before the windows install for better performance and in case you decide to go SSD for your boot drive. removing the 5400RPM drives and going Intel SSD (5 years warranty 320 series) since they are laptops gave a huge performance increase in startup and shutdown times and program loading times. Raw computing power no, performance perception yes.

167 @ June 2015

#7 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

Good info. I may go that route. I just don't want to be out a lot of $ so close to the holidays.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

I hear that $$$$, color me broke!

167 @ June 2015

#9 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

Decided to do it right the first time. M4A88T-M motherboard and Phenom ll x6 1090t black edition. Parts should be here tuesday.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

Often times am2+ CPUs are backwards compatible with am2 boards, many am3 CPUs are as well, they are physically, the same socket. however, like rotor has mentioned, the BIOS has to support them. With aftermarket boards, often times the manufacturer releases new BIOSes that allow such upgrades, many OEM manufacturers do not in most cases. However, on occasion they will-especially if its a popular model-it doesnt hurt to contact acer customer support and get a full CPU upgrade list and see if they have BIOS updates to run newer model CPUs. However, to be warned-many am3 CPUs will work on a lot of am2/am2+ boards, but am2/am2+ CPUS will NOT run on a AM3 motherboard, do to the fact that am2/am2+ CPUs do not have a DDR3 memory controller.

Edited by the_patriot11, 02 January 2012 - 12:15 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users