Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open exe files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wwm1129

wwm1129

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hello,

I am currently using Windows 7. Whenever I try to open a program (ex: Firefox, Malwarebyte), and open with screen pops up. If I click open with firefox and then try to open the .exe file, it says "C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\firefox(2).exe Application not found." Because I can't open any antivirus/antimalware programs, I am unable to run a scan on my computer to see whether or not it is infected.

Could this be a result of a virus? If so, what can I do about it?

Thank you,
Wendy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

Some malware infections will alter file associations and registry keys corresponding to them so programs will not work properly. In order to get them working again this modification needs to be repaired. This is a small tool that restores the default exe association.

Please download ExeFix.reg by Farbar for all versions of Windows and save it to a USB flash drive or to the root of the system drive (usually C:).
  • Important! Boot your computer into the user account that is having trouble running exe files.
  • Either right-click on ExeFix.reg and click "Merge" or double-click on it and choose "Yes" to add it into the registry when prompted.
After that you should be able to run your programs.

CAUTION: This step involves making changes in the Windows registry. Always Create a New Restore Point and back up your registry before making any changes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 wwm1129

wwm1129
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

Thanks so much!

I realized that from a pop-up the computer was infected with Win7 Antispyware. I have followed the directions found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012. Hopefully everything will work properly now.

Again, thank you

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

You're welcome and good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016