Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer prints blank pages

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Brawgates

Brawgates

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

I run XP SP2 originally with IE7 but upgraded to IE8 in an attempt to overcome the problem.

Whenever I attempt to print or preview from IE I'm presented with a single page that is blank except for the header and footer information. This phenomenom started immediately after I installed and ran CCleaner. Too much of a coincidence!

Printing is fine from Firefox.

I've since upgraded to IE8, uninstalled CCleaner and examined and implemented numerous web forum suggestions, eg ensuring that there is a Low folder witind Temp. All with no success. The problem persists even after I uninstalled and reinstalled IE8.

Any thoughts welcomed

With thanks

Edited by Brawgates, 21 December 2011 - 08:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

Are you saying that your printer has no problems, other than when printing online items?

Printer manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

CCleaner! Did you at least save the changes it makes so they can be undone? How long ago did you run CCleaner?

A second thought SP3 is the only supported version now.
Once this problem is fixed then you might want to consider SP3. Please Note that I said once this problem is fixed not before.

Once hamluis has the requested information He'll be able to help further.

Cheers

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Brawgates

Brawgates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

Louis

Thanks for your reply.

I should have been clearer. I don't believe it's a printer problem. I have the same Blank result when printing to either of my printers (Brother 9550 MFC Laser and Epson Stylus Photo R265 inkjet). Also when printing to Adobe PDF Writer.

I can print to all of these physical and logical printers from all other applications where printing is an option.

Best wishes

Peter

#5 Brawgates

Brawgates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

Rotor123

I much appreciate your interest.

CCleaner!

I'm not sure if I saved the changes. And as I've uninstalled the CCleaner and deleted related files it may be quite difficult to check. I'm searching through a number of offline archives for a copy of Recover4All to to see if this might help. There's nothing of any relevance in the Recycle Bin.

I downloaded and ran CCleaner around the beginning of November.

SP3

I upgaded to SP3 last year to remain current, but then had to reload SP2 to enable a few of my old Windows applications to run - in particular my ancient Adobe Writer - version 3.01!

I'll report back any success I have finding CCleaner save files.

Best wishes

Peter

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

Are you saying that your printer has no problems, other than when printing online items?

I'm trying to detemine...if the printer function works on everything other than online items, please.

Louis

#7 Brawgates

Brawgates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Louis

There are no technical problems with the actual printers. They function correctly.

The printer function only fails when using Internet Explorer. By fail I mean that all print or preview requests result in nothing more than header and footer. The rest of the printed page is blank .

The same print or preview requests work perfectly when using Firefox.

Peter

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973479

Louis

#9 Brawgates

Brawgates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

Louis

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier. I've been somewhat distracted attending to a plethora of pre-Christmas duties.

I'd come across http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973479 in my earlier investigations. At first glance it seemed to be the solution. But as I dug deeper, and repeated my analysis following your latest posting, it became apparent that this was probably a false lead.

I checked out my video driver and installed the latest driver for my active printer - no change, still no print or preview in IE.

I added a Low folder to every occurence of Temp in Documents and Settings - again, no change.

Protected Mode does not apply to XP.

A number of forums point to CCleaner causing problems when used without proper care. And I rather suspect that I must have fallen into that category when I ran the program in unseemly haste a few weeks back.

Given that my CCleaner log is no longer available, it might be a more effective use of my time if I re-install XP rather than chase out what appears to be a rather elusive solution to this problem.

Your thoughts?

Wishing you a peaceful Christmas and good fortunes in the New Year.

Peter

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

ccleaner if told to save a registry file will normally put it in your mydocuments folder

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 Brawgates

Brawgates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

Caperjac

I much appreciate your lead. A kind and thoughtful action.

Searched C:\D&S for *.reg. Only found 2 files that had been saved in All Users by Spybot.

Unless I should be aiming for a different filetype, looks like this one escaped!

Thanks again

Peter

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

yeah its a ,.reg file ,should look someting like this ,

cc_20111225_002520.reg

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#13 Brawgates

Brawgates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

Caperjac

A System Wide search for cc*.reg returned just CCARDS.REG - a very old Symantec file. Looks like I'm heading down the XP reload path.

Have an enjoyable Christmas

Peter

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

FWIW: I wasn't ignoring your question...it's just that I don't use any of the apps that you referred to.

I would suggest that you remove Spybot and replace it with something like SUPERAntiSpyware.

Merry XMAS!!

Louis

#15 Brawgates

Brawgates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

Louis

No worries. I assumed you must have gone off-line for the Christmas period. I think I'll be spending the rest of mine reloading XP!

Your comments on SpyBot versus SAS appreciated.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users