Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Corrupt/unreadable Files Off A Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 90sir

90sir

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:12 AM

Hey people,

My friend has a 512MB pen drive she used to copy some music files to, so she could load them onto her computer.
She's not too familar with them and I'm pretty sure she didn't go through the safely remove hardware thing..
The device was pretty much full and she just pulled it out :thumbsup:

Now, some of the music files worked, she put some mp3, some wma on it. There were 4 folders that became corrupted and she couldn't delete them.

I couldn't delete them either (corrupt message), so I did a search on Google and managed to find some instructions to delete them using some DOS command CHKDSK /F..
It worked for 3 of the folders but I'm left with one that I can open and 'delete' the mp3 thats in there but as soon as I go back to delete the folder, it comes up with 'Cannot delete file 'blah blah', directory is not empty'

Any ideas on how to get rid of this last one? Ta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:09 AM

Maybe Format-See Picture

Maybe Shred (Wash with Bleach)-See Picture

#3 90sir

90sir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:53 PM

I don't really want to format it if I can help it..
I read this somewhere you should NEVER format the USB drive because Windows will apply a different file allocation table than what the drive came with.

I came across this DOS command called rmdir (remove directory) is it possible I could use this to view the files and delete them?

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:54 PM

I don't really want to format it if I can help it..
I read this somewhere you should NEVER format the USB drive because Windows will apply a different file allocation table than what the drive came with.

I came across this DOS command called rmdir (remove directory) is it possible I could use this to view the files and delete them?

See Picture on Error-checking

It might help.

My Jump Drive thing says this about formatting-

- Copy the entire JumpDrive Secure folder onto your Desktop.
- Verify that there are no important files on your JumpDrive. The next step requires you to format your JumpDrive. Once you do this, you will be deleting all files from your JumpDrive.
- Go to My Computer and locate your JumpDrive. Right-Click on the icon and Select format from the Menu.
- Uncheck the box next to the Quick-Format if it is checked. You should be formatting in Full Format
- Begin Formatting
- Once the drive is formatted, go to the following link to download version 3.2 for JumpDrive Secure. http://lexar.com/drivers/index.html.
- Save this file on your desktop
- If required, unzip the files

Once you have downloaded the zip file, you will see a Word Document, which will give you step-by-step instructions on how to install the software update on your JumpDrive Secure. Please read this document prior to installing the software on your JumpDrive. Once you have completed the above steps, you will be able to re-configure your drive utilizing the 3.2 Version of the JumpDrive Secure Software.

So,I imagine if you did format yours,you might have to visit the manufacturer's site & get new files for yours.

I don't know DOS,so I can't help with it.

Send me a private message & I'll offer different help...

#5 90sir

90sir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

Does anyone with any DOS experience know if that command will work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users