Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

all of my programs and icons are gone cant do anything

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 campcook063

campcook063

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

I was online working on an online course i just started to get my insurance liscense, all of a sudden my computer started making noises that are associated with closing windows or programs, i minimized my firefox window, and found that the only things left on my desktop were "my computer" "documents" "control panel" and "microsoft outlook" i maximized the firefox window again to try and log out of my coursework and found that firefox crashed, in the matter of 5 minutes everything shut stopped running, i then got an error message to flash breifly but not long enough to read, then the computer shut down. i rebooted it into safemode with command prompt did some looking in dos, and found that all the directories were empty,including the recovery partition, it had been demolished. although according to checkdisk it still shows that the c drive has something in it, it seems to be hidden from view, so i tried to boot back up into normal mode, and the computer was workingexcept the icons were still gone as were all of my files from my documents. then i got error messages saying my hard drive was at risk of failure and to run a scan and repair, at that point i also got an error saying that my ram had bad clusters and to run a scan and repair, my internet drivers have been removed, is there anything that can be done to fix it? how can i download programs onto it if i cant get online? any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2011 - 03:18 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

Hi campcook -
Do you still have a good XP CD ?? Can you borrow a good XP CD to match your system ??
If you do, please read the link below and use the directions to do a Repair install.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/page__view__findpost__p__489

Thank You -

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Hi again -
Try to download and run UnHide.exe and try to reclaim any data. Use a Flash drive and a 2nd computer to D/load.
You can try it, but you may have already lost the data and may need to do a Repair Install.

Or now with the details in the Am I Infected? What do I do? area of the forum I hope the experts can do more.

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 21 December 2011 - 03:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users