Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexplained internet shortcut on desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fishbed

Fishbed

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

(I'm putting this topic here because I don't know where else it should go.)

I have found a file on my desktop I have no explanation for, that seems to have appeared by itself. It is an internet shortcut labelled simply "+" and the URL it links to is "javascript:void(0);". Examining the properties doesn't reveal anything else, besides the fact that it was created 7 hours ago and "accessed" about 90 minutes ago.
I did not deliberately create this file, and I don't know if it was possible to make it by accident. I have not tried opening it and scanning it with Malwarebytes AntiMalware shows nothing. Is this something that might indicate a virus or some such problem, or is it more likely it was created accidentally/automatically and I am making a fuss over nothing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

Have you noticed any other symptoms? If not, then I'd guess that what happened is that you inadvertently dragged a link from your browser onto the desktop. This would create a shortcut to that link. Many websites use Javascript in their links to provide advanced functionality, so a link to Javascript:void(0); could have come from any number of websites (Google, Facebook, Yahoo, even here at BC.)

This isn't to say that a good full scan with your antivirus isn't worthwhile, of course. :thumbup2:

A fun fact:

In Javascript, the function void(0); is the shortest possible program. The only thing it does it immediately exit. Even if you were to open the shortcut, it wouldn't do anything.

Edited by Andrew, 21 December 2011 - 12:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users