Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu usage problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cole.l

cole.l

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

hi there my name is cole and im having a problem with playing a game and the problem is my cpu. My meter tells me that, with nothing running (far as i can tell) its running around 30%. I have removed programs that i didnt need anymore and what not then i ran my AVG scan and it came back pretty clean just a few bugs. Then i ran a "tuneup360 v7.0.0" (which i thought was free...didnt read the fine print) and it came back with "cpu dangerous"....i dont know, if anyone can help me with my cpu usage, i would be most apreciative to say the least.

Thanks
-cole-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 randec

randec

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:23 AM

It's nothing to worry about. Check out the c-net review. Their test machine also got a lot of scary messages about settings being dangerous that were, let's say, over exaggerated.

Cnet Link

I don't mean to be condescending, please take my advice as it's meant to be, helpful. However, many times your question can be best answered by a quick Google search.

However, "just coming up with a few bugs" isn't necessarily a favorable anti-virus result. If you're talking about tracking cookies then that's not extremely serious.

Also, make sure you check the domain, or address, that you're downloading from.

Edited by randec, 21 December 2011 - 01:19 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:[list]

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

30% isnt all that unusual, depending on the OS and the hardware used. My old 6000+ x2 CPU used to idle at 33% under windows vista, 25% under 7. What CPU and OS are you running?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

30% isnt all that unusual, depending on the OS and the hardware used. My old 6000+ x2 CPU used to idle at 33% under windows vista, 25% under 7. What CPU and OS are you running?

That seems very high to me I expect to see my Win7 machine at 1%, I just looked at the XP Pro machine I'm on and it is idling at 0 to 1% CPU. Which IMHO is where it should be idling. If it was over that I'd be looking to find the culprit.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 cole.l

cole.l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

my comp model is : a6700y
Processor: AMD Phenom™9150e Quad-Core Processor 1.80GHz
Memory: 4.00GB
System type: 64-bit

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

Rotor-it was dual core on vista. I also had a few background services running-my quad sits around 2% with the same background services under 7. in this case first gen phenom under vista maybe a little high, under 7 there maybe something going on. I would run another av such as avast, and it cant hurt to defrag the hard drive.

On another note, cole if you can access the processes menu (ctrl +alt+del go to task manager then processes) and either post a screen shot or list them we may be able to better figure out whats going on.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

For the screen shots as requested by the_patriot11 in windows 7 you can use the snipping tool. In XP I had to press the "Print Screen" key, paste into paint and crop it there and save to create the screen caps below.

One other thought if you can go to the task manager, processes and sort by CPU and see if any of them are using a lot of CPU. Be sure to select "Show processes from all users"

the_patriot11 may be onto to something I have seen Antivirus sometimes cause slow downs. What Antivirus are you using? Are you still using AVG. Hopefully you are only running one Antivirus too as more than one can cause problems.

For example I just looked at a Toshiba laptop with a T4500 dual core and 4Gb and MSE as Antivirus and it is idling at 0% to 1% CPU usage.

I'm attaching two images from a XP Pro computer showing the task manager process sorted by CPU as an example and the Performance tab. You'll notice I do not run a lot of things and that I'm running Firefox, Thunderbird and Outlook Express and that Firefox is a bit of a memory hog. And that Avast in this computer is not loading it down. P4 3.2Ghz w/2Gb.

Knowing what is using the CPU cycles would be a big help.

[attachment=114773:TaskManager1.JPG] [attachment=114774:TaskManager2.JPG]

That BTW is a complete list of everything running, I try to keep it clean and lean.

Edited by rotor123, 22 December 2011 - 11:01 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users