Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Home PC Unbearably Slow

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

Hi, normally I'd be on my laptop, but this time I'm on an old desktop, more specifically, an Acer Aspire T135. Now, I don't know WHAT the hell the previous owner did to this computer, but from the way it runs, it might have well just been run straight into a brick wall. The computer is literally so slow, I can only use it in Safe Mode with Networking, and that has its disadvantages. Aside from the crappy resolution and no sound, it runs perfectly right now. But if I try to run a normal start up? Forget it. The computer is literally so slow that if I hit My Documents, it might appear a whole five minutes later.

I've already ruled out malware as the problem, I've done scans with Avast and MBAM Pro and STILL it is slow. This T135 comes with only 192MB of RAM, which is fine by me as I don't need to play games or anything overly resource-intensive, but I cannot even perform normal computer operations(Browsing the internet, opening files, opening the start menu, etc) when not in Safe Mode. I would think that any maker of computers at least has the decency to include the hardware to make the OS ACTUALLY USABLE.

Here are the specifications(From DXDIAG):

System model/manufacturer: Acer T135/T135A
Memory: 192MB RAM
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Sempron Processor 3300+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.00GHz
Page File: 358MB used, 108MB available

I'm not exactly good with hardware nor do I have the money to buy some RAM. I know there must be a FEW things I can disable at start-up to make it usable, as it runs fine in Safe Mode W/ Networking. I've already tried disabling a few things through MSconfig, and that helped A LITTLE, but its still unbearably slow. Any assistance, BC?

Edited by TheDudeWithTude, 20 December 2011 - 11:45 PM.

If life gets you down, start tunneling, you might find some juicy dirt on others.

When life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into the other persons eyes!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hitek713

hitek713

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:28 AM

well if n e thing you may want to upgrade your memory, which will let you run a smoother system. i usually go to www.newegg.com

usually the max on an old laptop like yours is 2 gigs. keep in note that you want to get the same speed/specs.

my other concern is that you might have an infected system

#3 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

well if n e thing you may want to upgrade your memory, which will let you run a smoother system. i usually go to www.newegg.com

usually the max on an old laptop like yours is 2 gigs. keep in note that you want to get the same speed/specs.

my other concern is that you might have an infected system

First, I said that I can't afford new memory nor would I know how to install it (I'm useless when it comes to hardware). Second, its not a laptop, its a desktop. Third, I've already done scans for malware, cleaned it out, it still runs like crap.
If life gets you down, start tunneling, you might find some juicy dirt on others.

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:27 AM

That computer will always be slow with that amount of RAM, but it should still be usable for basic tasks. If it is that slow, there is another problem besides not having enough RAM. Since it runs fine in Safe Mode, there is something that can only start in normal mode that is slowing the computer down.

More complete system specs might help. I saw a computer became extremely slow after installing the latest driver for the nVidia video card. You could also post the contents of each tab in msconfig. I don't think the INI files affect much in Windows XP, but the Services and Startup items could have an effect on performance.

#5 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:18 AM

That computer will always be slow with that amount of RAM, but it should still be usable for basic tasks. If it is that slow, there is another problem besides not having enough RAM. Since it runs fine in Safe Mode, there is something that can only start in normal mode that is slowing the computer down.

More complete system specs might help. I saw a computer became extremely slow after installing the latest driver for the nVidia video card. You could also post the contents of each tab in msconfig. I don't think the INI files affect much in Windows XP, but the Services and Startup items could have an effect on performance.

I've pretty much disabled everything in msconfig that I know I can afford to disable. If I had sound in safe mode and decent resolution I'd be happy with it, but unfortunately since safe mode is made for diagnostic purposes only, that isn't possible.

#6 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Bump.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

FWIW: IMO...clean install should always be the first step on any computer which is acquired from another owner/user. That at least provides a logical starting point in trying to solve any issues with the system which become notable.

Louis

#8 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

FWIW: IMO...clean install should always be the first step on any computer which is acquired from another owner/user. That at least provides a logical starting point in trying to solve any issues with the system which become notable.

Louis

Sorry for the lack of promptness, life happens.

It didn't come with an install disk, plus there are barely any programs on the PC. I think it was mostly used for online shopping. At any rate I can't reinstall the OS, I don't have an installation disk nor a blank disk to burn a cracked ISO on.

Granted, it'd be a lot easier that way, I'll give you that, but I have no other options. From what the previous owner tells me, it ran decently at some point, but now it's too slow for her or I to use. Meaning, there has to be SOME way to make this run like it once did(Without a reinstall).

I'll try running Defraggler but that's gonna take a helluva long time, will update with results of that.

Edited by TheDudeWithTude, 28 December 2011 - 08:05 PM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hi -
Do you know what version of XP is running ?? SP1, SP2, SP3 -
Please post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy
This will help us check what is installed and active -

Thank You -

#10 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:18 AM

Hi -
Do you know what version of XP is running ?? SP1, SP2, SP3 -
Please post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy
This will help us check what is installed and active -

Thank You -

SP3, and some of the DLLs couldn't be initialized because I'm in Safe Mode.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5cwb0PaJ7SgVgabzUxvKWon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users